Women's basketball's confidence runs high before Sweet 16 round

sue-1

Head coach Sue Guevara speaks during the press conference at Spokane Arena in Spokane, Washington on March 23.

Central Michigan women’s basketball has not lost a game since mid-February. And the Chippewas know it. 

In a pre-practice interview session March 23 before the Chippewas’ Sweet 16 matchup with Oregon March 24, junior guard Presley Hudson explained the team’s beaming optimism. 

“We’re really confident in each other,” Hudson said. “We believe in each other, and we know we are capable. And coach, she gives us a lot of confidence as well.”

Head coach Sue Guevara shared Hudson’s belief. 

“Our style of play is very, very similar (to Oregon’s),” Guevara said. “But we have five kids that can all shoot the three. We like to run, too.

“It’s going to be a fun game for the fans to watch and maybe a nightmare for me (to watch).”

CMU’s last loss was on Feb. 14 against Buffalo in the regular season. The Bulls were the only Mid-American Conference team to beat CMU in conference play. 

The teams matched up once again in the MAC Tournament Championship game, where the Chippewas came out on top. 

Central Michigan earned an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament for winning the MAC Tournament, but Buffalo needed to earn an at-large bid to enter the NCAA Tournament. 

Now, after receiving the at-large bid and playing two games, the Bulls are also in the Sweet 16 round. 

“(MAC teams) didn’t come in feeling that we had to prove anything to anybody,” Guevara said, after being asked about the success of CMU and Buffalo, both MAC teams, in the NCAA Tournament. “The MAC prepared both of us for where we are now. This isn’t about proving anything to anybody.” 

In the first round of the NCAA Tournament, the Chippewas took on No. 6 LSU. In the second round, CMU knocked off No. 3 Ohio State in Columbus, Ohio. The Chippewas are not fazed by always being the lower seed, said senior guard Cassie Breen. 

“We keep the momentum by instilling confidence in each other,” Breen said. “(We know) that every time you step on the court we work hard just as every other team does.”