BOT Notebook: Approval of presidential leadership profile, nursing degree

419botm1

President Ross speaks at the board of trustees meeting at the Bovee University Center April 19, 2018.

Trustee Tricia Kieth addressed the rest of the Central Michigan University Board of Trustees to provide updates on the search for CMU's new president at the April 19 meeting.

Kieth said an advertisement for the position will be published in the Chronicle of Higher Education and the search firm, Witt/Kieffer is accepting nominations for candidates on their website.

The Board voted to approve the leadership profile that was constructed through information from public forums.

Kieth said the search committee will be accepting nominations through June 1, although the date is a soft deadline.  To insure they choose the best candidate, the committee will take nominations until the day they announce their choice.

"We will hire the right candidate regardless of the timeline," Kieth said.  "We are aggressive in our push around time, but very deliberate in our process."

The following was approved at the meeting:

• Approval a number of proposals including adding a new Bachelor of Science in Nursing through CMU's Global Campus.
  • Approval of the proposal to build an above-ground fuel tank, as the below-ground fuel tank currently on campus is no longer the norm.
  • Approval of the addition of chilled water lines under Lot 62 by the Student Activities Center, along with the infrastructure improvement of the parking lot after experiencing flood damage.

In the president's report, President George Ross highlighted the achievements of some students and faculty at CMU.  

Senior Ian Eickholdt was named 2017 Rumbaugh Outstanding Student Leader by the Society of Automotive Engineers for his leadership on the CMU Baja Team.  The Baja Team is a group of engineering students who design and build an off-road vehicle that gets entered into competition against other universities.

Political science faculty member Thomas Stewart was awarded the title of emeritus professor.