Miller named first-ever vice president and chief diversity officer

Andrew Miller, Pd.D speaks for a candidacida​l evaluation for Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer on March 28 at the Bovee University Center.

Andrew Thompson “A.T.” Miller will be Central Michigan University’s first vice president and chief diversity officer, President George Ross announced April 26.

Miller will begin as a member of the president's cabinet after Memorial Day .

For seven years, Miller has been the associate vice provost of academic diversity at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. He used to direct Africana studies programs and headed a secondary school in Kenya in the 1980s.

“A.T. brings a wealth of experience working with students, faculty and staff,” Ross said in a press release from University Communications.

CMU Title IX Coordinator Katherine Lasher led the search. 

“Dr. Miller has both an educator’s perspective and that of an administrative leader,” Lasher said in the release. “He has worked with students and been a champion for faculty and pedagogy. The committee is delighted to have A.T. and his husband, Craig Kukuk, join our university and community.”

Miller visited campus March 28 for open forums in the Bovee University Center. In his forum, Miller said he would advocate for events with the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe, having worked a lot with the Ojibwe Language program during his time at University of Michigan. Miller said he believes the use of the Chippewa name is something that could be reviewed.

He also said he wants to improve campus for people with disabilities.

“When you improve things for people who are disabled, everyone’s lives improve,” Miller said at the forum.

The newly created vice president and chief diversity officer position was assisted by search firm Witt/Kieffer and candidates were selected by a committee led by Lasher. The position was a primary recommendation of the 2017 Diversity and Inclusion Task Force.

Miller won the position over three other candidates: 

• Carmen Suarez, vice president of global diversity and inclusion at Portland State University in Portland, Oregon.
  • Brian Corpening, assistant provost for diversity and community partnerships at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center.
  • Cecil Howard, interim associate vice president, chief diversity officer and Title IX coordinator for the University of South Florida System.