Sophomore right-handed pitcher on bullpen: ‘We are getting better’

cameron-brown
Central Michigan sophomore right-handed reliever Cameron Brown poses for a portrait during practice at Theunissen Stadium on April 10.

Central Michigan baseball's bullpen has pitched 145.2 innings this season — and allowed 121 runs.

Sophomore right-handed pitcher Cameron Brown, one of the bullpen members, said it needs to improve going forward. One issue the bullpen imposes that most pitchers were starters in high school. They aren't used to throwing in relief. 

“We are getting better,” Brown said. “We have a lot of guys in the bullpen who haven’t been here in their career. There’s a learning curve and guys are adjusting.”

The reason behind the learning curve from a starter to bullpen pitcher is the mentality, he said. Brown, along with other relievers, need to continue developing a “killer instinct” attitude on the hill, he said.  

“When you start a game, it’s your game,” Brown said. “If you get in a jam, you can settle in. Coming out of the bullpen, it’s a tight situation and you have to have it under control right away.”

Sometimes, relief pitchers are put in tough situations due to the point of the game when they are brought in, he said. 

Head coach Steve Jaksa said he is still trying to figure out which way to use individual pitchers out of the bullpen, because of player inconsistencies. Even though the season is halfway over, Jaksa is still working out pitching situations to succeed. 

“If you’re good for three games and then you’re not good for three, it’s very difficult for me to grab you and put you in there every time," Jaksa said. "I need to know what I’m going to get out of them in the bullpen. Then, I know how to use them.” 

Along with the learning curve, Brown said being consistent is difficult to accomplish because every situation out of the bullpen is different. 

“Consistency in the bullpen is pretty hard, but it makes a good reliever,” Brown said. “It’s what everyone is working to do. The harder you work, the more you will pitch."

For example, Brown said starters may be able to get away with walking a batter in a tight situations, but relievers do not have the same freedom.

In the eyes of junior right-handed pitcher Michael Brettell, a starter, consistency is the most important aspect for a pitcher to focus on.

"It's a mentality thing," Brettell said. "Hitters can go 0-for-3 one game, but guess what, you've got a game tomorrow and it's the same for pitchers. You have to know you are here for a reason — it's why you are playing Division I baseball." 

This season, Brown is 1-1 with a 7.25 earned run average in 22.1 innings. The 6-foot-2, 190-pound thrower has issued 16 strikeouts and eight walks. 

Statistically, CMU’s bullpen is led by freshman lefty Brandon Reed. He has put together a 1.69 ERA with 17 strikeouts in 10.2 innings of work.  

“We have some guys (good), other guys (that are) close and then we have some guys that are just up and down,” Jaksa said. “They need to get themselves consistent. It doesn’t mean their stuff is bad, it just means they walk too many guys.”

For a reliever, Jaksa claims walks "are the kiss of death.” On the positive side, he has just less than half the regular season to clean up the bullpen and push for a Mid-American Conference title. 

“We have to get a consistent bullpen with guys healthy,” Jaksa said. “Once that is figured out, we will find out the best spots for them.”