High-scoring offense, consistency carried softball on streak

march-28-softball-3

Senior outfielder Lacy Tolfree gets ready to swing during the game against Valparaiso on March 28 at Margo Jonker Stadium.

During a slow start to the season with a 9-15 record, the Central Michigan softball team's offense wavered. 

That has not been the case during the Chippewas' current eight-game win streak — they have scored a combined 54 runs over eight games. 

Seven of the Chippewas' eight wins came against conference opponents. They currently sit at second place in the MAC West Division behind Toledo (25-13, 9-1).

“Winning is contagious,” said redshirt junior left fielder Sara Hansen. “Being at home I think helps a lot because we have a very encouraging fan base and the results are coming with it.”

CMU swept Buffalo over this past weekend with 31 total hits and 30 runs scored. As a team, the Chippewas are first in the conference in batting average (.310), sixth in hits (261) and third in triples (11).

“A lot of it depends on who is in the circle for the other team and we will see better pitching this year,” said head coach Margo Jonker. “It’s just a matter of not wanting to do too much and it’s more about just doing your job (hitting) and I think the team gets that right now.”

During the win streak, CMU only allowed more than two runs in one game. 

Senior pitcher Hanna Warren (5-5) — who leads the team in wins, earned run average (2.62) and strikeouts (49) — said everyone has been getting a chance to throw, which helps the pitcher's confidence.

“Like I’ve said before everyone brings different components to the staff and right now they have been lights out,” Warren said. “It’s nice to see the young pitchers being able to show what they have in the mix.”

Warren added the hitting has also improved the team's confidence.

“The offense has been killing it lately and it’s so nice to know you have that (score) gap because you can try different things with your pitches,” Warren said. “You can try getting more movement or going more inside because you're not too worried about it when your team can get you back in it whenever.”

Western Michigan and Eastern Michigan will both travel to Mount Pleasant this week, starting with the Broncos in a double-header at 1 p.m. April 11 at Margo Jonker Stadium.

“Eastern is a loud and energetic team and always have been,” Warren said. “They carry that momentum with them and if they do we have to take it from them. If we play the way we are right now, it makes us hard to beat.”