Zeta Tau Alpha to host Crown Classic 5k April 15

19293_logot

Central Michigan University's sorority chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha will be hosting its 26th annual Crown Classic 5k run/walk to raise money for Breast Cancer Education and Awareness April 15.

Check in will start at 9:30 a.m. at CMU's Rose Center. Participants will also be encouraged to join a kick-boxing warm-up. The warm up will be held by an instructor as well as co-led by a sister of ZTA in honor of this year's "fight like a girl" theme. 

Julia Wendt, director of public relations said the sorority is hoping for more than 250 people to attend this year.

"We want a lot of participants not only from the university but from the community as well," she said. 

The family-friendly race will start at 11 a.m. and will follow with an optional photo opportunity before guest speaker, Jenean Coughlin, begins. Coughlin will talk about her personal journey with breast cancer.

The fastest male and female runners will be awarded with a trophy and all participants will receive a t-shirt for the event.

The cost of the t-shirt is included with the price of participating in the race. Prices to participate are $26 for adults, $13 for students and $11 for children ages 12 and under.

Tickets can be purchased at https://ztacrownclassic.regfox.com/zta-crown-classic. 

A silent auction that include gift baskets will take place before the event concludes at 2 p.m.

ZTA chapters across the nation host versions of Crown Classic, which can include football or a race. Wendt said ZTA is the sorority that raises the most money on campus, providing the highest donations to their philanthropy, Breast Cancer Education and Awareness. 

Last year, members of the sorority raised upward $23,000, Wendt said. The goal for this year's race is to raise more than $25,000.