Biology professor Robert E. Bailey dies at 74

19293_logot

Robert E. Bailey, a professor in the biology department, died April 14 in Mid-Michigan Medical Center in Alma. 

Bailey, 74, was teaching his 45th year at Central Michigan University. During his time at CMU, he researched lake systems and cared for all of his students, said biology professor David Zanatta.

“He took lots of time always to advise and talk to students about pursuing their degrees in biology and their plans,” Zanatta said. "He’ll be greatly missed. I think having some of our older faculty when they pass away like this, especially suddenly, it’s a difficult thing to absorb. Having his legacy missing from our department, a senior person in our department; his institutional memory will be gone.” 

Bailey enjoyed camping, being outdoors and trying different Michigan beers. He was also involved in environmental consulting.

He is survived by his wife Katt Bailey, his children Jeffrey Bailey, David Hoffmaster, and Elizatbeth Hoffmaster, his grandchildren Wade, Simone, Hayden, Ashlin, Gage, and Sawyer, his three sisters, and his aunt and uncle Artiss and Donald McDonnell.

A visitation for Bailey took place April 18 at Lux Funeral Home in St. Louis, Michigan. The memorial service will take place later this summer. 

In lieu of flowers, Bailey preferred that donations and memorials be made to your local STEM camp in his name.