Quarterback Dequan Finn commits to CMU, believes he can contribute early

dequan-finn

Detroit King quarterback Dequan Finn will play football at Central Michigan in 2019.

Detroit Martin Luther King 2019 dual-threat quarterback Dequan Finn visited Central Michigan for its annual Spring Game on April 21. On the same day, he committed to play football for the Chippewas. 

“It feels good to be a Chippewa,” Finn said. “I love the fact that they feel as though I can come in and contribute to the team as early as possible. I’m just happy I got that part out of the way, so now I can focus on the season and building relationships with the coaches.”

The 6-foot-2, 170-pound had offers to play for CMU, Air Force, Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Eastern Kentucky, Illinois State, Indiana State, Morgan State, Norfolk State and Youngstown State. 

“I committed to CMU because the coaches, environment and it felt like home,” Finn said. 

Finn, ranked a two-star prospect by 247Sports, is listed as the 1,709th player in the 2019 class. He is not worried about rankings due to his high level of confidence. 

“I feel confident in all aspects of my game – mentally, physically and emotionally,” Finn said. “I can’t predict the future, but I feel like I can handle it once I learn the playbook.”

During CMU’s Spring Game, Finn met with former CMU quarterback Shane Morris, who attended Warren De La Salle before committing to play for the University of Michigan. 

“I asked questions about everything and I got some tips,” Finn said. “He told me once I get to school I need to study the playbook. He told me how essential it is to make the right checks, reads and coverages. He also told me to be dedicated to the game, which will separate me from the rest of the quarterbacks.”

Morris transferred to CMU for his final season of eligibility. He passed for 2,908 yards, 26 touchdowns and 13 interceptions, leading the Chippewas to an 8-5 season. 

Coming from Detroit to Mount Pleasant seems like it would be a difficult transition, but Finn said making the move to a rural area will not be a struggle. 

“It’s similar because it’s football oriented,” Finn said. “For example, in Detroit, everyone is surrounded by football and sports. I feel like Mount Pleasant is the same thing.” 

CMU head coach John Bonamego has developed Morris and current Dallas Cowboys quarterback Cooper Rush during his tenure as a coach for the Chippewas. Finn is excited to watch his game develop under Bonamego once he arrives at the university. 

“I feel coach Bonamego can help me be a successful quarterback,” Finn said. “Especially in the system that they have right now, I feel as though he can guide me into becoming one of those elite quarterbacks.” 

In the 2017 season for Detroit Martin Luther King High School, Finn completed 93-of-174 passes for 1,252 yards and 15 touchdowns. He also ran 80 times for 764 yards and six scores. In 2016, Finn’s sophomore year, he led the Crusaders to an MHSAA Division 2 state championship.