Golf aims for top-five finish at 2018 MAC Championships

21909_img_4246f
Chippewa golf practices at Mount Pleasant Country Club on Sept. 17, 2015.

A top five finish at the 2018 Mid-American Conference Championships is the goal for the Central Michigan women’s golf team. 

The tournament, hosted by Northern Illinois, will be an all-day event stretching from April 20-22 at the Naperville Country Club in Naperville, Illinois. The Chippewas will be playing the course for the first time this season, after being unable to play it in the fall.

Head coach Cheryl Stacy believes her team is capable of a top-five finish.

“I know we’ve been inconsistent, but I think all the players have shown they can play, so we’re hoping to play well at the right time,” Stacy said.

CMU and the Huskies will be joined by Akron, Ball State, Bowling Green, Ohio, Toledo, Western Michigan and four-time reigning MAC Champion Kent State.

The Chippewas are led by freshman Jami Laude, averaging a 77.45 score per 18 holes. Laude also has the teams lone top-five individual finish, tied for fourth place during the Dayton Fall Invitational in October. She has scored a career best one under par (71) during the second round of the North Florida Collegiate on March 5. 

Senior Natalie Johnson has also enjoyed a successful season up to date, averaging 78.05 per 18 holes. The Clinton native has scored a season low 74 twice, and earned three victories during the Mid-American Conference Match Play in Lakewood Ranch, Florida in February. 

CMU’s lineup will feature Laude, Johnson, freshman Megan Deardorff, junior Bria Colosky and senior Kristen Wolfe.

Both Wolfe and Johnson look to finish their CMU careers with success.

“I think they’re very motivated but they’re also excited,” Stacy said. “I know Kristen (Wolfe) was borderline whether she was going to be in the top-five or not, so I think she’s really happy she’s playing. They both really want to go out on a good note.”