Lacrosse dominates for second straight game

rusco_lacrosse-2
Sophomore midfielder Tyra Prince attempts to score a goal during the game against Delaware State on April 8 at the Lacrosse Complex.

Total domination. 

That’s one way to describe Central Michigan lacrosse’s victory over Delaware State in Mount Pleasant. Now winners of five of their last six games, the Chippewas (7-5, 2-0 SoCon) defeated the Hornets 18-1 (0-9, 0-2 SoCon). 

“I thought we executed very well for sixty minutes,” said head coach Sara Tisdale. “Momentum is huge.” 

CMU outshot Delaware State 37-4 with goals from eight different players led by Anna Schoonover with five and Jocelyne Lemay with four. 

For the second straight game, Central Michigan wasted no time jumping out to a 5-0 lead in the first five minutes of play. Schoonover, Lemay, Tyra Prince, Shannon Doyle and Jessica Schuchardt each scored for the Chippewas. 

After Delaware State held CMU scoreless for five minutes, CMU regained momentum by scoring four more goals during the next ten minutes of play extending their lead to 9-0. 

Hannah Potter and Schoonover then tacked on two late goals for the Chippewas taking a 11-0 lead into halftime. 

In the first half, Central Michigan outshot Delaware State 24-0 and stopped the Hornets on all nine of their clear attempts. 

Lemay started off the second half with a goal, but the Hornets scored their first goal of the game on their first shot of the game by Lauren Perry. 

For the rest of the game, the Chippewas outscored Delaware State 6-0 securing the victory for CMU. 

“I’m incredibly proud of the program we’re building,” Tisdale said. “But we still have a ways to go, we still have goals and high hopes.” 

Central Michigan returns to action on Friday to face Furman University in South Carolina.