Lacrosse wins fifth straight game

cmuvsduq-7
Sophomore midfielder Tyra Prince races up the field against a Duquesne player on Mar. 15 in the Soccer/Lacrosse Complex.

The Central Michigan lacrosse team is has won five straight games and is currently riding the longest win streak in program history.

The Chippewas (10-5, 4-0 SoCon) defeated Old Dominion (5-10, 2-2 ASun) 19-15 on Friday afternoon. 

Shannon Doyle and Tyra Prince led CMU in scoring with 6 goals and 4 goals, respectively. 

“Working as a unit on offense the opportunities come to different people and today was my day,” Doyle said. “We have to execute our game plan and play at our best level at this point in the season.”

Central Michigan and Old Dominion were tied on 5 separate occasions despite the Chippewas never leading in the first half.  

Old Dominion opened the game with three unanswered goals early but Hannah Potter and Schuchardt within a minute of each other with just over 20 minutes remaining in the half.

With 19:44 remaining in the half, Schoonover scored to tie the game at 3-3.

The Monarchs responded with two unanswered goals but Doyle and Jocelyne Lemay scored to tie the game once again at 5-5.

After Sophia Richie scored for ODU, Schoonover scored her third goal of the game to tie the game at 6.

Old Dominion scores to take the lead at 8-6, but Prince scored followed by Doyle to tie the game for the fourth time.

Shortly after the Monarchs responded, the sophomore scored her second straight goal for CMU to tie the game at 9 just before halftime. 

“We were getting the look we wanted but we needed to get some high quality shots,” said head coach Sara Tisdale. “We tried to force a couple things in the first half and why we’ve been successful is we’ve really allowed the game to come to us.”

Central Michigan took its first lead of the game scoring with Doyle scoring her third straight goal with 27:35 remaining in the game. 

Prince scored three times and then Schuchardt and Doyle scored to spark a 6-1 run for the Chippewas. 

Nearly midway through the second half Glory Johnson scored for ODU to end CMU’s scoring run. 

Central Michigan and Old Dominion then went on to score two goals each leaving the score at 17-13 with just under 10 minutes remaining. 

Karlen and Doyle then scored to extend the Chippewas lead to six goals. 

The Monarchs scored two goals late but CMU held on for a four goal victory. 

“We need to continue to execute to our level of play,” Tisdale said. “ They’re a great opponent and I’m excited about the opportunity and the challenge.” 

Central Michigan returns to action at 11 a.m. on Sunday facing Coastal Carolina in Conway, S.C.