'The Last Pig' screening aims to inspire compassion towards livestock

19293_logot

Student Advocates for Vegetarianism and Veganism (SAVV) aim to use a special documentary screening to challenge social norms of eating meat. 

A screening of "The Last Pig" will be held from 7-9 p.m. April 19 in Anspach Hall, Room 152. The organization will be providing vegan-friendly refreshments throughout the event. 

"The Last Pig" is a documentary following the life of Bob Comis in his final year of pig farming after a decade in the profession. 

The film presents Comis developing fond attachments to the animals he cares for. The nature of these relationships leads to intense torment when obligated to deliver the pigs to the slaughterhouses. 

"We hope the screening inspires others to look at their own lifestyle and that anyone can make a difference," said Gibraltar sophomore McKenna Wietecha. "I hope viewers learn that every being wants to live, and that everyone can make a change." 

Wietecha, the events chair for SAVV, said deciding to show the documentary was simple,  as it tied so directly to the organization's mission. 

"Our organization is about encouraging a plant-based diet and lifestyle," she said. "We were inspired to pursue this lifestyle by educating ourselves on it and realizing that it would reduce harm to ourselves, the planet and other beings." 

The film was produced, directed and edited by six-time Emmy winning film producer Allison Argo, of Virginia. 

Her environmentally focused documentaries include "Parrot Confidential" and "The Sagebrush Sea." 

Although the film addresses the environmental, health and economic risks of domesticated pig livestock, Wietecha said it is importance to explore the concept of "finding the light" that is unfolded. 

"The light is basically just realizing that all beings deserve life and happiness and that just because we're humans doesn't mean that we have a right to harm these creatures," she said. 

SAVV president and Sterling Heights senior Sarah Merrifield said she is most looking forward to the screening's Q&A portion. During this time, audiences will be video-chatting with Comis and one of his pig companions. 

"We will hear the perspective of the (man) who transformed his life and see the pigs he now has as companions--an example of how veganism literally saves lives."

About Samantha Shriber

Samantha Shriber is a staff reporter at Central Michigan Life and is a Saint Clair Shores ...

View Posts by Samantha Shriber →