Jeff Daniels to headline Max and Emily's Summer Concert Series with Aug. 25 performance

jeffdaniels

Jeff Daniels performs with the Ben Daniels Band at the Max and Emily's Summer Concert Series on Aug. 29, 2015 in downtown Mount Pleasant. The crowd was estimated to be 2,500. 

Actor and musician Jeff Daniels will return to Mount Pleasant to headline Max and Emily's Summer Concert Series. 

Jeff Daniels attended CMU in the 1970s but dropped out to pursue a career in acting. The Chelsea native is renowned for his versatile talent as an actor.

"College students should be interested in the opportunity to participate in the community where they will live for years to see what these incredible musicians and bands sound like in a unique downtown setting," Max and Emily's Owner Chris Walton said. 

Max and Emily's, located at 125 E. Broadway St., specializes in sandwiches, soups and breakfast. It also has a catering service. Walton bought the eatery in 2017 after long-time owner Tim Brockman passed away.

Max and Emily's Summer Concert Series was created 10 years ago to provide fun, family-friendly entertainment at no cost to the community, Walton said. 

The outdoor venues take place on the corner of Broadway and University in downtown Mount Pleasant. The concerts are sponsored by CMU, downtown Mount Pleasant and Isabella Bank. 

"In celebrating 10 years, Max and Emily's continues to look for talented musicians that the community of Mount Pleasant will enjoy," Walton said. "New musicians and seasoned veterans showcase their musical abilities in a variety of incredible concerts for everyone to enjoy." 

Walton believes events like the concert series strengthen the community. 

Local talent will take the stage at 6 p.m. and headlining acts begin at 7 p.m.

Max and Emily's Summer Concert Series lineup includes:

June 28: Brian Vander Ark & Friends 

• The concert series will begin like it did ten years ago with Brian Vander Ark. The songwriter has been a staple of the series, performing all but one year. He has played at the series as a solo act, with the band The Verve Pipe and with friends.

July 19: Monique Berry 

• Local artist Monique Berry was part of the first outdoor concert in Fall 2007. At the time, Monique had been living in California for several years and wanted to come home to play for friends, family and her community.

August 9: Paddlebots

• Mount Pleasant’s very own Paddlebots is new to the series. Featuring percussion, horns and bass, the group has molded its live shows into a “high-energy, endlessly groovy package of musical expression,” Walton said.  The band is a staple at Tailgate Village before CMU Football.

August 16: The Ragbirds 

• The Ragbirds encourages the crowd to leave their chairs in the street and come up close and dance. Led by Erin Zindle, the band's music is a unique blend of indie-pop with global rhythms.

August 25: Jeff Daniels and The Ben Daniels Band 

• Despite his busy schedule, Jeff Daniels, along with The Ben Daniels Band, will return to Mount Pleasant with their trademark humor, passion and soul to conclude the summer concert series.