'One CMU community' celebrates the legacy of President George and Elizabeth Ross April 25

President George Ross and his wife Elizabeth cut a cake during Ross' appreciation ceremony, April 25 in the Bovee University Center.

President George Ross told both faculty and students one of his proudest accomplishments as president of Central Michigan University will be ending his term by graduating his 51,607th student at the Spring 2018 commencement.

On April 25, CMU administration, faculty and staff started filling into the Bovee University Center Rotunda to celebrate President George and Elizabeth Ross' nine consecutive years at CMU. 

A line of people waited patiently to pay their respects to and shake the hand of the president who will be stepping down in July. 

Administration wanted to have the reception before President Ross officially steps down, but everyone was busy, Executive Assistant to the President Mary Jane Flanagan said. It had to be a casual event.

Student Government Association President Anna Owens introduced the president to those who already knew him well. 

"President Ross encourages each student to pursue excellence and teaches (students) our power extends beyond this campus," she said. "During his time presiding over this university, he has demonstrated his profound commitment to the transformative power that is CMU education." 

CMU administration and faculty have demonstrated the ability to come together, Ross said. At times, CMU rebounded from adversity and became stronger. 

Ross attributed all his accomplishments to the joint effort of the CMU community, whether or not that is how his legacy is recorded. 

"We did this together," Ross said. "There is nothing George Ross or Elizabeth Ross did alone. It is 'our' work I am proudest of."

More than 100 attendants gave a standing ovation as Ross left the podium teary-eyed into his wife's embrace. 

Ross' final "Pizza with the President" drew in about half the attendance of the faculty-oriented event. Students filed into the UC Rotunda at 7 p.m. and kept the president talking until 9 p.m. 

Royal Oak freshman Allison Peel said she hadn't attended a "Pizza with the President" and wanted to do so before Ross left office.

"I think it's great our president gets involved with us because I know a lot of universities lack that personal connection," she said. "I hope (the new president) maintains that sense of community."

Ross also touched on the environment CMU has created, saying it's "three words: community, community, community," that make the university stand out from its 14 peer institutions.

However, Ross said he hopes students strive to expand that space even further to people unlike them, placing importance on the international student population.

"Ultimately, the people you'll be competing against won't be from Farmington Hills, Detroit, Calcasca or Charlevoix," he said. "Your competition is going to be young people from around the world. The more we expose students — whether domestic or international — to students from other countries and cultures and religions and beliefs; the more you interact, the stronger you will be."

The president received questions from American, Middle-Eastern and Chinese students.

The receptions come at a time when students and those employed by the university are preparing for the end of the spring semester. 

"We all set the strategic plan for decades to come — faculty, staff, students, trustees and community members," said President Ross. "As (CMU) moves forward to another president keep imperatives in mind, including student success."