Softball's bats heat up to top Buffalo in cold series opener

march-28-softball-2
Senior catcher Maison Kalina communicates with her teammates during the game against Valparaiso on March 28 at Margo Jonker Stadium.

After waiting through another schedule change due to cold weather, Central Michigan softball found a way to heat its bats up for a blowout win over Buffalo.

CMU was held to one hit through three innings, then exploded for a five-run fourth inning which led to a 10-2 win in five innings over the Bulls on April 7 at Margo Jonker Stadium.

The Chippewas (15-15, 5-3 Mid-American Conference) are now back to .500 overall and have won six straight contests.

"I was really proud of the team for how chilly it was swinging the bat," said head coach Margo Jonker. "Coming back right away to set the tone helped us take advantage of their miscues on defense. We're playing what I call 'Chippewa softball.'"

Summary

The Chippewas were active on the bases early and it led to a run. Following a pair of steals from senior outfielder Lacy Tolfree, sophomore short stop Morgan Gardner hit a sacrifice fly to score her. It was 1-0 CMU.

After treating to score in the first two innings, UB got on the scoreboard in the third inning. Sophomore infielder Jenelle Martinez doubled to left-center, scoring two runs and giving the Bulls a 2-1 lead.

The Chippewas finally found a big hit.

After freshman designated hitter Shaidan Knapp was hit by a pitch and advanced to second on a wild throw, senior catcher Maison Kalina doubled to score Knapp and tie the game.

They didn't stop there. A wild throw on a bunt from Noch resulted in Kalina coming all they way from first to score. CMU would add five more runs, posting a 8-2 lead heading into the fifth inning.

Tolfree would get an RBI single in the bottom of the fifth to earn the mercy rule and end the game.

Kalina and Curtis each had two hits apiece and two RBI. Gardner had just one hit but knocked in three runs.

"We're confident right now," Kalina said. "We worry about what we can control and who we play. We knew it was cold but they are playing in the same conditions (as us), we just said let's do it."

Senior pitcher Taylor Weaver (4-5) earned the win after relieving the starter junior Laura Vaccaro. Weaver pitched 2.2 innings and allowed no earned runs. She allowed one hit and added two strikeouts.

The Bulls and Chippewas will resume action tomorrow in a double header starting at 11 a.m. in Margo Jonker Stadium.

Game notes

• CMU didn't record a hit until the third inning, yet they led 1-0 through two.
  • The sixth consecutive win is CMU’s largest win streak of the season.
  • Kalina’s two RBI day tied her for a team leading 21 with junior first baseman Erika Underwood.
  • CMU only out-hit UB 8-6, but the Bulls had three errors which kept innings going and gave one unearned run.