Softball splits final home games with Toledo

Senior, Hanna Warren, pitches, during the CMU vs Toledo game, April 27, at the Margo Jonker Stadium

In their final two games at Margo Jonker Stadium in 2018, Central Michigan softball split a doubleheader against Toledo Saturday.

The Rockets took game one 8-0 in six innings while the Chippewas took game two 3-0. CMU wins the series 2-1 after winning 6-2 over the Rockets Friday.

The Chippewas are 21-22 on the season and 11-9 in Mid-American Conference play. Toledo is now 31-17 (15-5 MAC).

“Toledo is an excellent team this year,” said head coach Margo Jonker. “For us to win the series says a lot.”

“We did a good job of not letting (Toledo’s Bailey) Curry be able to hit for power. Our pitchers did a good job with that the whole weekend.”

Game One

Toledo struck first with an RBI single and a sacrifice fly ball in the third inning to take a 2-0 lead. 

The Rockets would strike again and put the game out of reach with a two-out, six-run sixth inning. Toledo managed a three-run double from pinch-hitting Morgan Paaverud, an RBI triple from a pinch-hitting Samantha Golden and a pair of RBI singles. 

The Chippewas failed to score in their half of the sixth, ending the game after six innings. 

“We really didn’t do any part of the game well. We didn’t pitch well, we didn’t run bases well, we didn’t hit well, we didn’t play great defense,” Jonker said. “When that happens you lose, and we did.”

CMU mustered hits from Lacy Tolfreee and Maison Kalina. The Chippewas also left seven runners on base and went 1-of-8 with two outs. 

Senior Taylor Weaver pitched three innings, allowing two runs off four hits with one strikeout. Junior Laura Vaccaro tossed 2 2/3 innings, allowing six runs off eight hits with one walk and two strikeouts. 

Toledo’s Kailey Minarchik earned her 17 win of the season, pitching six shutouts innings, giving up two hits and two walks with one strikeout. Ashley Rausch went 3-of-four with two RBIs. 

Game Two

After managing two hits in game one, CMU managed two hits in their first two at-bats and scored their first run of the game off a fielder’s choice bunt from junior Erika Underwood. She would strike again with her eighth home run of the season to give the Chippewas a 2-0 lead over Toledo.

CMU added another run in the sixth when Tolfree scored while junior Allison Curtis was thrown out trying to steal second.

Senior Hanna Warren pitched a complete game shutout, surrendering seven hits while walking two and striking out three.

“I thought Hanna pitched great game all the way through. I’m really proud of her,” Jonker said. 

Tolfree finished 3-of-4 while scoring twice in her last game at Margo Jonker Stadium.

“It’s pretty emotional for all us seniors. I think it was great to win the series, we definitely played Chippewa softball the two games we won,” Tolfree said. “It hasn’t fully set in yet, but I’m sure it will tonight. 

Underwood finished 1-of-2 with two RBIs and a home run. 

“I was seeing the ball really well, I was making some great contact but it was getting caught up in the wind,” Underwood said. “The last one I guess didn’t hit the wind. It felt really nice to finally get a hold of (a pitch).”

Toledo’s Heather Webb hurled 4 ⅓ innings, allowing two earned runs off six hits while issuing two walks and three strikeouts.

Hansen out of lineup against Toledo

Junior Sara Hansen was held out of the lineup for this weekends series due to an undisclosed injury. The Mount Pleasant native was on crutches during Friday’s game but was walking under her own power Saturday.

The outfielder's injury is still unknown at this time and will see a doctor on Monday according to Jonker. 

What’s next

CMU softball finishes their regular season with a three-game series against Northern Illinois in DeKalb. Game one of the series is slated to start at 7 p.m. on Friday, May 4 with a doubleheader starting at 2 p.m. eastern on Saturday, May 5.