Flag raising, Central Talk to celebrate 100-year anniversary of Warriner's presidency

19293_logot

Two events will take place this week to commemorate the 100-year anniversary of E.C. Warriner's presidency at Central Michigan University.

The CMU community is invited to a raising of a peace flag at 3 p.m. April 3 on Warriner Mall.

The raising of the “Pro Concordia Labor” flag was an annual event established by Warriner. The event took place on May 18, which was celebrated as Peace Day in the U.S. before World War I. 

This year, the flag raising moved to April to honor Warriner’s presidency and his involvement in the pre-World War I Peace Movement.

Philosophy faculty member Hope May will host a Central Talk about Warriner’s vision. The talk, titled “To think in world terms: the moral vision of E.C. Warriner,” take place at 5 p.m April 4 at the Mount Pleasant City Hall Commission Chambers, 320 W. Broadway St.

The talk will include a conversation about Warriner and his involvement in the peace education movement, as well as what CMU is doing to continue that work today.

Warriner was the fourth president of CMU from 1918-1939. According to Clarke Historical Library, CMU changed from Central State Normal School to a four-year college during his presidency. The new name was Central State Teachers College. 

During Warriner's presidency, enrollment doubled, the Old Main Building (now Warriner Hall) burned down and the first Homecoming took place. Warriner retired in 1939 and died in 1945.