Former defensive end Joe Ostman signs with reigning Super Bowl Champions

Joe Ostman shows off his linebacker skills in a drill at Central Michigan's 2018 Pro Day on March 16 at the Indoor Athletic Complex.

Central Michigan defensive end Joe Ostman was left off the list of members to attend the NFL Draft Combine from Feb. 27 to March 5. About two months later, he went undrafted.  

Moments after making its 7th round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles were the first team to call Ostman to extend him a contract as an undrafted free agent. 

Ostman later received offers from the Detroit Lions, Cincinnati Bengals, Tennessee Titans, Atlanta Falcons and Oakland Raiders, but selected the reigning Super Bowl champions as his next destination. 

“The Eagles reached out first, and they were anxious to get me out there,” Ostman said. “Each offer is a little different financially, but as an undrafted free agent, they are all similar. It comes down to what team will fit best.”

The 6-foot-3, 250-pound defensive lineman recorded 63 tackles, 13 sacks, 19.5 tackles for a loss and three forced fumbles in his senior season for the Chippewas. 

Now that the impressive numbers and legacy at CMU is behind him, Ostman is just thankful for an opportunity to play in the NFL. He will report to training camp on May 10. 

“I’m thankful that the organization gave me a chance and I’m excited to get out to Philly and start going to work,” Ostman said.

Ostman has spent a majority of his time in contact with Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz. While he needs to work hard in training camp, Ostman said he believes his name will fill a roster spot when the 2018 season begins. 

“(Schwartz) told me how they want to use me, and I talked to Coach Bonamego, who has a lot of ties to Schwartz and the special teams coordinator in Philly,” Ostman said. “Coach was behind the decision. The Eagles want to use me a lot with special teams to get my foot in the door my first year and move up to play on the defensive line.

“I’m excited to work hard and earn their trust that this is where I belong.”

Being left out of the combine and draft does not serve as the primary motivation for Ostman. Instead, it just gives him a little extra. 

“It’s not what fully motivates me,” Ostman said. “I’ve been motivated my entire career to do the best I can. It is a little extra motivation, but I’m already extremely motivated and know I have to keep working hard.”

From the 2013-2017 seasons in the Maroon and Gold jersey, Ostman compiled 220 tackles, 45.5 tackles for a loss, 26 sacks, four fumble recoveries and eight forced fumbles. 

Over the course of his time in Mount Pleasant, the biggest takeaway for Ostman is the work ethic instilled in him from his family, friends, coaches and professors. 

“Being at CMU has taught me to work hard and respect others,” Ostman said. “I know not to worry about the small stuff and try to only control the things I can. There have been a lot of great people that have impacted me. I’m thankful for Central Michigan University and I owe a lot to this school.”