Former tight end Tyler Conklin sees ‘perfect fit’ with Minnesota Vikings

rusco_fball-9

Senior tight-end Tyler Conklin poses for a portrait on Mar. 16 in the Indoor Athletic Center. 

When former Central Michigan tight end Tyler Conklin woke up on April 28, he had a feeling his name would be called.

With the 157th overall selection, the Minnesota Vikings picked Conklin in the 5th round of the 2018 NFL Draft. He was the 12th tight end to be chosen by an NFL team. 

“Everything happens for a reason,” Conklin said. “They are a perfect fit for me by the fact that they are a Super Bowl contender, they signed Kurt Cousins, who likes his tight ends, and they have a vision for me.”

In order to get Conklin, Minnesota traded up, sending the 167th and 225th overall picks to the New York Jets for the 157th selection. 

“(The trade) means a lot because they want me there,” Conklin said. “It’s not like they just took me only because I was the best value at the time. They want me in Minnesota and I think it’s perfect.” 

A few weeks before the draft, Conklin had an interview with Minnesota tight ends coach Clancy Barone. After the conversation, the CMU standout had the Vikings as one of his top teams.  

“We had a good talk and I felt it would be a good place for me to land,” Conklin said. “The next day, I had a FaceTime interview with the offensive coordinator and tight ends coach. They want a two tight end set with me and Kyle Rudolph. 

“(Minnesota) has an idea of how they will use me, which is exciting.”  

Conklin attended L'Anse Creuse High School in Chesterfield and committed to play Division II basketball for Northwood University in Midland. After averaging 3.3 points in eight games during his freshman 2013-14 season, he made his way to the football field as a walk-on at CMU. 

“When I walked-on, not many people thought I’d be here,” Tyler said. “I had a feeling. I took a different route than most people, so that will keep me working hard and sticking to my roots.”

In his CMU career, Conklin made 83 receptions for 1,159 yards and 11 touchdowns. The tight end registered 28 receptions, 406 yards and five touchdowns in his senior season. 

Conklin made a career-high 10 receptions for 136 yards and two touchdowns in a 26-23 victory against Ohio after missing the first give games last season.  

“We’re very proud of Tyler,” said CMU head coach John Bonamego. “He’s driven, and he’s worked hard and shown the determination, grit and effort to get the most out of himself. He’s an outstanding representative of his family and our CMU football program.”

Bonamego spent time with five different NFL teams as an assistant coach from 1999-2014 before agreeing to become the head coach of the Chippewas in 2015. He has been in Conklin’s ear about how to succeed at the next level.  

“Coach (Bonamego) just told me to keep doing what I’m doing,” Conklin said. “I earned my stripes and proved myself. This is how I’m looking at this whole process. It’s like I’m a walk-on again and working my butt off to earn everyone’s respect.”

Prior to Conklin, the most recent Chippewas to be selected in the NFL Draft was safety Kavon Frazier, who was picked in the sixth round of the 2016 NFL Draft by the Dallas Cowboys.

“Central Michigan allowed me to play football there and it was one of the best experiences of my life,” Conklin said. “For all the football players, I think CMU continued proving we can put people into the NFL. It’s a great university and I’m forever grateful to Central Michigan University.

“I mean, I have it tattooed on my arm, so that’s a little something.”