Max and Emily's kicks off its 10th Summer Concert Series

jeffdaniels

Jeff Daniels performs with the Ben Daniels Band at the Max and Emily's Summer Concert Series on Aug. 29, 2015 in downtown Mount Pleasant. The crowd was estimated to be 2,500. 

Max and Emily's Summer Concert Series will begin its 10th anniversary the same way it began its first year-- with a performance from Brian Vander Ark on June 28.

Local talents will take the stage at 6 p.m., and the main performance will begin at 7 p.m.

In 2008, Max and Emily's  founded its Summer Concert Series to provide fun and family-friendly entertainment at no cost to the community. The outdoor venues take place on the corner of Broadway and University in downtown Mount Pleasant. The concerts are sponsored by Central Michigan University, downtown Mount Pleasant and Isabella Bank.

The remainder of the Summer Concert Series performances include:

July 19: Monique Berry 

• Local artist Monique Berry was part of the first outdoor concert in Fall 2007. At the time, Monique had been living in California for several years and wanted to come home to play for friends, family and her community.

August 9: Paddlebots

• Mount Pleasant’s very own Paddlebots is new to the series. Featuring percussion, horns and bass, the group has molded its live shows into a “high-energy, endlessly groovy package of musical expression,” Walton said.  The band is a staple at Tailgate Village before CMU Football.

August 16: The Ragbirds 

• The Ragbirds encourages the crowd to leave their chairs in the street and come up close and dance. Led by Erin Zindle, the band's music is a unique blend of indie-pop with global rhythms.

August 25: Jeff Daniels and The Ben Daniels Band 

• Despite his busy schedule, Jeff Daniels, along with The Ben Daniels Band, will return to Mount Pleasant with their trademark humor, passion and soul to conclude the summer concert series.

At a June 25 City Commission meeting, Mayor Allison Quast-Lents read a proclamation to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Summer Concert Series.