Mitchell's Gourmet Deli and Market is coming to Mount Pleasant

mitchells-deli

Mitchell's Deli in Shepard, photo provided by the Mitchells.

When customers walk into Mitchell’s Gourmet Deli Market in Shepherd, they are instantly greeted with warm smiles and seduced by the aroma of home-cooked food. On the outside, the shop appears to be just a regular corner store. But after one visit, customers become part of the Mitchell family. 

The well-known Shepherd Mom-and-Pop shop is expanding their franchise to Mount Pleasant by the end of the summer. The new deli will be located at 1982 E. Remus Rd., where Scoops Ice Cream shop used to be.

Owners Dean and Jamie Mitchell opened their deli in Shepherd five years ago, in November of 2013. The little shop can be found on the corner of Wright and Chippewa Ave., and will remain open even after the new deli opens for business. 

The Mitchells said they are both thrilled to see what they can add to the Mount Pleasant community.

“I’m most excited about making a difference in someone’s day,” said Dean Mitchell. “It’s amazing to watch people go through their life's storms, and seeing their overall growth.”

The expansion will offer the same products as the market in Shepherd including meats, cheeses, signature sandwiches, and chocolate. Customers can still expect their signature "punny" sandwiches, such as the Bacon Got Back, and the Italian Stallion. 

However, the new shop will offer a wider variety of gluten and steroid free meats, as well as ice cream. The building has a bigger kitchen than the original shop, allowing for there to be more ready-to-eat meals, and homemade chocolate.

“It will be the same menu, same friendly faces, and the same homey environment,” said Jamie Mitchell. “When you walk in the door, we want you to experience the fun and home-like atmosphere that we offer in Shepherd.”

Though the Mitchells have been thinking of expanding their franchise for a while, this expansion was unexpected. The couple was contacted by Chuck McGuirk and asked to make their second home in Mount Pleasant. 

Jamie describes the offer as an "ah-ha!" moment, and said that their business is the couple's calling.

“We prayed about (opening a new shop),” said Jamie. “We didn’t know where we were going but with his offer, it just seemed right. We want that hometown feel, we want that in Mount Pleasant.”