Rev It Up raises $15,000 during Special Olympics Michigan State Summer Games

closing-ceremony-19
A Rev It Up motorcyclist asked an athlete to sign their autograph for him at the State Summer Game's closing ceremony on June 1.

During the closing ceremony of the Special Olympics Michigan State Summer Games on June 1 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium, the roaring of motorcycle engines could be heard from miles away.

Surrounding the stadium were motorcyclists from all over the state. For the past nine years, members of the Michigan Moose riders travel to Central Michigan University to raise money for the Special Olympics Michigan Summer Games, in an event known as Rev It Up.

This year, the Rev It Up riders raised approximately $15,000 during their motorcycle ride. Of the money that was raised, half of the proceeds will go to SOMI, while the other half goes to Mooseheart, an orphanage located in west Chicago.

Jimmy Wallace, member of Fremont Moose Lodge 1555-1 club, said that the best part of Rev It Up is the opportunity to meet the athletes.

“Honestly, my favorite part is signing autographs,” said Jimmy. “The excitement of the athletes is everything.”

The event began with riders driving their motorcycles from the south parking lot of Kelly/Shorts stadium onto East Broomfield St., and down E. Campus Dr., ending at the stadium, where athletes excitedly await their arrival. 

Once the ride was over, members headed to the field to meet the athletes and sign autographs.

When asked what her favorite part of Rev It Up was, area 34 athlete, Jenna Gimesky, said she likes looking at the motorcycles.

“I’ve never been on one before but they are cool and I would ride one if I could,” said Gimesky.  

With hopes of raising more money next year at their 10 year anniversary, Fremont Moose Lodge 1555-1 member, Ninajo Wallace, states that every year is better than the previous.

“It gets bigger and better every year,” said Ninajo. “Once you come, you don’t not come again. It’s a very emotional and special day to be a part of.”

As the closing ceremony began, the nearly 3,000 athletes all participated in a summer games tradition by yelling "Rev it up!" as the motorcyclists loudly revved their engines and drove away, signifying the end of the games.