Special Olympics Michigan State Summer Games celebrated 50 years of empowerment

special-olympics-41

Kelly/Shorts Stadium hosts thousands for the 50th Special Olympics Michigan on May 31.

For the last five decades, the Special Olympics have fought for inclusion and helped its athletes to find joy and empowerment.

From May 31- June 2, nearly 6,500 athletes, coaches, family members and volunteers came together at Central Michigan University to celebrate the anniversary and compete in the Special Olympics Michigan State Summer Games.

The weekend-long festivities began on May 31, as 2,973 athletes paraded into Kelly/Shorts Stadium. The athletes reunited with old friends and began to make new ones as they filled up the football field, hugging and laughing while they danced to the feel-good upbeat music blaring through the speakers.

Leading the athletes was Richard Hess, a 59-year-old athlete who competed in the first ever Special Olympics in 1968 at Soldier Field in Chicago. Hess was honored as a grand marshal for his long involvement in the Olympics and he spoke at events several times throughout the weekend, including co-emceeing the closing ceremonies on June 2.  

From 8 a.m. June 1 to 4 p.m. on June 2, athletes competed in the ten types of competition offered at the State Summer Games, including: bocce, bowling, gymnastics, horseshoes, power lifting, swimming, weightlifting, volleyball, developmental athletics and motor activities training program.

When they weren't competing, athletes had the opportunity to receive medical screenings at the Healthy Athlete Village in the Intercollegiate Athletic Center, take a canoe ride and try out the Slip-n-Slide, or enjoy themselves with family and friends at the carnival held outside of the Student Activity Center.

The State Summer Games are presented by SpartanNash, the only Statewide Premier Medallion Partner of Special Olympics Michigan. This year, SpartanNash presented the athletes with an oversized check, bearing a donation of $165,000, at the opening ceremony. 

The Knights of Columbus have been actively involved in Special Olympics Michigan for all 46 years the State Summer Games have been hosted at CMU. In addition to acting a a human tunnel to the Olympic torch at the opening ceremony, the Knights donated $10,000 to Special Olympics Michigan.

On the evening of June 1, the State Summer Games closing ceremony kicked off with Rev It Up, the traditional procession throughout the stadium of Michigan Moose Riders. The motorcyclists travel from all over the state to interact with athletes, signing autographs for them and asking them for theirs. The riders also hold an annual fundraiser for the Olympics, and this year they raised $15,000.

As is Special Olympic tradition, two athletes were crowned king and queen of the State Summer Games. Athletes Noah Curtin and Karol Evanglides grinned and waved at the large crowd filling the football field at Kelly/Shorts as the crowns were placed on their heads.

Additionally, gymnast Jacqui Bunt was named the 2018 Inspirational Athlete of the Year.

Before the athletes and their families could dance to the rock-and-roll sound of Jedi Mind Trip, who performed at the closing ceremony, they had to say goodbye.

Special Olympic Michigan president and CEO, Lois Arnold, celebrated her last State Summer Games this year before she retires, after more than 25 years of working with the Special Olympics. 

"You all deserve our respect, thank you for being an inspiration to all of us," Arnold said to the athletes. "Thank you, all of you, for enriching my life. I will always remember each and every one of you."