PRIMARY ELECTION: David Barberi, David Gilbert, Robert Holmes fight to face Democrat in prosecuting attorney race

cm-life

Three Republicans are asking voters to choose them to run against the Democrat seeking the Isabella County Prosecuting Attorney's Office this fall. 

Risa Hunt-Scully left the prosecutor's office in February, half-way through her second term, to take a position at the Michigan Attorney General’s office. Hunt-Scully was appointed to that position in 2012, replacing Larry Burdick. Her announcement came after her husband retired amid an investigation by Michigan State Police Internal Affairs.

The office is not up for election until 2020. Isabella County Circuit Court Judges Paul Chamberlain and Mark Duthie appointed Republican primary candidate Robert Holmes to serve the remainder of the time before the next election Aug. 7. 

In Michigan, the county prosecuting attorney is tasked with representing the government in court. The office is independent of the state attorney general. A prosecutor is the chief law enforcement official in Isabella County. A prosecutor's duties include: 

• reviewing, authorizing and prosecuting violations of felony and misdemeanor criminal laws committed inside the County
  • represents the county in criminal matters before the district and circuit courts; juvenile delinquency, parental neglect and miscellaneous probate matters in the circuit court/family division and probate court, and appeals in the Court of Appeals and Michigan Supreme Court
  • advises the Family Independence Agency on child abuse and neglect petitions, and actions to terminate parental rights
  • represents and advises the Isabella County Board of Commissioners and other county departments on legal matters

There are three Republicans seeking the nomination to face Democrat Larry King in November.

• David Barberi studied as an undergrad at Central Michigan University. He later earned his Juris Doctorate from Thomas Jefferson School of Law. Barberi worked as a public defender and at his father’s firm, Barberi Law. 

He has also served on Mount Pleasant Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors and as President of the Isabella County Bar Association. 

“I’m concerned about the direction our prosecutor's office is headed.  I feel they are isolated from the rest of the community and last engagement with local organizations. Above all, I’ve witnessed a waste of resources in the office by treating a person who made a simple mistake or a youthful offender the same as a hardened criminal.” Barberi said.

For more on Barberi visit his website.

David Gilbert earned his bachelor’s of business administration at Northwood University before studying law at Thomas M. Cooley Law School.

He has worked at GameGo Computers & Cafe LLC, and currently works at Gilbert Law Office PLLC. Gilbert also spent time in the Navy.

“Over the years I have remained active in serving the community. I started out in the US Navy. With an honorable discharge After 7 years in the Navy have looked at how to continue that service. Involvement in education, sporting programs, veteran’s services and local service. This opportunity to continue serving the community presented itself in a timely manner,” his Facebook profile states. 

For more on Gilbert visit his Facebook page. 

• Robert Holmes is the acting Isabella County Prosecuting Attorney. 

Holmes joined the Army after high school, serving for six years as a lawyer’s assistant/paralegal. Holmes graduated from the University of Wisconsin with a degree in political science. 

He served as an intern at Ingham County Prosecutor’s Office while attending Cooley Law School. After graduating, Holmes became an assistant prosecuting attorney in 1990. 

“I possess the character, skills and life experience needed to fulfill the duties of Isabella County Prosecuting Attorney. Having spent countless unpaid hours on weekends and holidays, giving up precious time with family and friends, for the sake of completing my sworn duties has led me to become the successful seasoned Prosecutor I am today,” Holmes said in a Facebook post. 

For more information on Holmes visit his website.