Central Michigan Chippewas 2018 position group preview: Offensive line

springgame-bens-26

football players line up before the play during the spring game on April 21 in Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Central Michigan began fall practice on Aug. 3, meaning the 2018 season is just around the corner. For more position group previews, check Central Michigan Life over the days leading up to kickoff:

Position: Offensive line

Projected starters: Derek Smith (sophomore), Shakir Carr (senior), Steve Eipper (junior), Jamezz Kimbrough (redshirt freshman), Alex Neering (senior)

Key backups: Nick Follmer (redshirt freshman), Shawn Wiley (freshman), Tyden Ferris (freshman), Jeff Strome (sophomore), Erik Ditzhazy (redshirt freshman)

Breakdown: Even as a position group with two underclassmen starting and youthful depth, offensive line coach Derek Frazier said this group has done well with learning each other's traits.

“I think last year when we had to play so many different guys due to injury it is now showing that they are in the position to be ready to play,” Frazier said. “They are learning what it takes day by day to get better.”

Between CMU’s five starters, they have started 20 total games which doesn’t surpass two full seasons of contests.

Frazier said the line always has high expectations no matter what the circumstances are.

“For every group whether it’s a young group or an old group you always are looking to get better every week,” Frazier said. “Our expectations are every practice and every game we are making a push to be the very best we can be.”

Carr, who is a team captain, and Eipper lead the group with nine starts apiece. This means trio of Smith (2), Kimbrough (0) and Neering (1) have started three combined games.

“Shakir has played a lot of games with us and done a great job but with it comes that leadership responsibility,” Frazier said. “That was shown by his peers as well, they all look to him when they need it.”

Head coach John Bonamego said he thinks confidence is something this group of lineman will earn overtime. 

“I think this group will play hard and that’s all I can ever ask of anybody is to give it all they got,” Bonamego said. “The rest will take care of itself. They will earn confidence through consistent play and for this group there has been a lot of moving parts due to injury. I see them starting to jell.”

Bonamego also said what they do on their own practice field daily helps them significantly.

“I think it helps they are going against our defense everyday because we have some really good edge rusher and strong people inside,” he said. “I think that is a great challenge for them.” 

Neering was one of those defensive lineman until the spring of 2017 when he made the switch to right tackle. 

“I do have a real statistic to my name which is pretty cool,” Neering said. “My first year transitioning was very, very hard. It’s a whole different technique but I’ve got to the point where I feel comfortable now and feel good about the position I’m in.”

Eipper is now shifting over to his first season as the starting center. The 286-pounder spent time at the right tackle, left and right guard positions over the past two years. 

Smith from Kenowa Hills High School was grayshirted in 2015 and redshirted in 2016. The 280-pound tackle was an All-Conference First Team member his senior season with the Knights in the OK Conference. 

Kimbrough went to Flossmoor High School where he helped guide his team to a 31-6 overall record as a three-year varsity starter.

Wiley and Ferris are two true freshman that earned backup positions on the offensive line of CMU’s depth chart. The 285-pound Wiley also played basketball and track and field in high school. Ferris, a 292-pound center, didn’t allow a sack his senior season.

Frazier said no matter who he has playing the position, he is always excited to learn more about them.

“It’s fun to watch the personalities evolve with every year because they are always different,” Frazier said. “It’s fun to watch these guys mold and jell together.”