Central Michigan Chippewas 2018 position group preview: Defensive line

football1
Sophomore defensive lineman Mike Danna is held by a University of Toledo player during the football game against the University of Toledo on Oct. 14 in Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Central Michigan began fall practice on Aug. 3, meaning the 2018 season is just around the corner. For more position group previews, check Central Michigan Life over the days leading up to kickoff:

Position: Defensive line

Projected starters: Mitch Stanitzek (senior), Mike Danna (junior), Nathan Brisson-Fast (senior), D’Andre Dill (junior)

Key backups: Marcus Griffin (senior), Sean Adesanya (senior)

Breakdown: Danna talked about the defensive line as the unit the team looks at first when things go wrong, showing how much leadership comes from the Chippewas front four.

“If we have a bad game, everyone is going to look at us first,” Danna said. “We have to go hard every single play. We are suppose to be in the trenches getting after it every single play. That’s how it’s been ever since I’ve been here. 

“We are the work horses, I’m happy to be back and the chemistry is great. I’m expecting a really good season out of all three guys lined up next to me.”

Much like the linebacker position, the Chippewas return upperclassmen at every single position on the defensive front. Stanitzek, Danna, Brisson-Fast and Dill have combined to play in 119 games in a CMU jersey.

“I think we are aggressive, last year we had a lot of sacks as a D-line unit,” Stanitzek said. “Hopefully we can keep that mindset and keep after that and get as many if not more sacks than last year. We also will look to stop the run, we’ve always prided ourselves on that.”

Last season the Chippewas allowed 2,408 yards on the ground which was seventh in the Mid-American Conference and recorded 34 sacks which was good for second in the MAC.

14 of those sacks however came from former Chippewa Joey Ostman who finished second in the MAC. Brisson-Fast is the returning sack leader for CMU with 5.5 sacks in 2017. Danna added four while Stanitzek added 3.5 sacks.

Defensive coordinator Greg Colby said he likes a combination of assets the defensive line possesses. 

“They are athletic, strong, aggressive and play hard,” Colby said. “Brissen-Fast isn’t the biggest guy in the world but he is physical. Dill is a chunk to deal with in there. They are vets, they’ve all played and know what it takes to win.”

Head coach John Bonamego said this unit has what it takes to play at high level and help with a younger secondary.

“Adding in Marcus (Griffin) and Sean (Adesanya) only helps with the mix we already have had up there,” Bonamego said. “You’re best pass defense starts with a steady pass rush on the quarterback and making him get the ball out before he wants to. I like the mentality of this group with the toughness that comes with it.”

Griffin (Arizona) and Adesanya (Illinois) are both graduate transfers who joined the team for this season. Griffin played in five games for the Wildcats last season making two tackles and one for a loss. Adesanya played in seven games last season and made 10 tackles with one sack.

Neven Simington, Tico Brown, Johnathan Berghorst and LaQuan Johnson are all newcomers as freshman to the position. Brown holds the sack record at Homestead High School with 21.5 sacks while adding 224 tackles. Simington is a local product out of Saginaw High School who made 306 career tackles. Berghorst is also a Michigan player from Zeeland East High School, making the All-OK Conference First Team twice. Johnson comes from Burton Bendle High School in Flint where he totaled 184 tackles and 21 sacks with five touchdowns on the offensive side of the ball.

“I think every single one of us can rush and stop the run,” Danna said. “I don’t think there are many cons to the defensive line. All of us are hard-nosed football players who get after it, down and dirty. 

“I think without a doubt we are one of the best position groups in the MAC.”