CMU picked to finish No. 5 in Western Division by MAC coaches

springgame-bens-23

Junior wide receiver Damon Terry receives the ball during the spring game on April 21 in Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

For the second-straight season, the Central Michigan football team was predicted to finish fifth in the Mid-American Conference West Division in the MAC Football Head Coaches Preseason Poll. 

The list was released just prior to the MAC football coaches conference call on Aug. 27.

On July 24, the MAC released its preseason media poll which also had the Chippewas at No. 5 in the West Division. 

Despite being fifth in both sets of predictions, CMU head coach John Bonamego is aiming for a conference title. 

“There’s nothing else to play for," Bonamego said. "To talk about anything less does a disservice to our staff, players and our fans. So yeah, that’s our expectations."

Back in 2017, CMU was picked to finish fifth in the West Division as well. Bonamego's group ended up posting an 8-5 record, good for second-best in the MAC West. 

This time around, the Chippewas are forced to replace three starting defensive backs, wide receivers Mark Chapman and Corey Willis, tight end Tyler Conklin, quarterback Shane Morris and star defensive end Joe Ostman. 

Junior running back Jonathan Ward isn't worried, especially not after bursting on the scene last year to emerge as a team superstar. 

“We’ve got plenty of talent to replace what we lost, even though some of those guys were great for us, we have people who learned under them,” Ward said. “(The media) can predict us to finish where they want, we know we are capable of winning the MAC.”

The Chippewas open the 2018 season at Kentucky on Sept. 1. The team is currently a 17-point underdog against the Wildcats. 

“It’s fun being the underdogs," said linebacker Malik Fountain. "I like to be relentless. What relentless means to me is being able to do the impossible."

Here is the full MAC Football Head Coaches Preseason Poll:

MAC East Division:
1. Ohio (10) - 70
2. Buffalo (2) - 59
3. Miami - 42
4. Akron - 36
5. Bowling Green - 29
6. Kent State - 16

MAC West Division:
1. Northern Illinois (5) - 61
2. Toledo (3) - 60
3. Western Michigan (1) - 45
4. Eastern Michigan (1) - 35
5. Central Michigan (1) - 33
6. Ball State (1) - 18