CMU hires Jim Earle as women’s golf head coach

2018-wgolf-team-roster
New Central Michigan women's golf coach Jim Earle led Cal State Monterey Bay from 2015-18 and Missouri-St. Louis from 2003-15.

Jim Earle has always wanted to coach at the Division I level. 

Then the opportunity arose to join the Central Michigan women's golf program as the head coach, and Earle accepted. 

“When I interviewed at Central, the facilities were impressive and the commitment of the community and the university for the women’s golf program was really inspiring," Earle said. "The foundation for success is there, and it’s about helping to get the student-athletes to believe in that and continue to bring in talented players in the future."

Earle, from St. Louis, coached the women's program at Cal State Monterey Bay from 2015-18. He was at the same position with Missouri-St. Louis from 2003-15.

The Otters, at Cal State Monterey Bay, won four tournaments in three years. In 2017, the team qualified for the NCAA Regional for the second-straight season, and Linnea Karlsson qualified for the NCAA Championships. 

Director of Athletics Michael Alford is excited to see the same success sustained in Mount Pleasant with the Chippewas. 

“We are very happy to welcome Jim and (his wife) Tracy to the Chippewa Athletics family,” said Associate Vice President/Director of Athletics Michael Alford. “Jim is from the Midwest and has a proven track record of successful recruiting, locally, nationally and internationally. He has turned around two programs very quickly and taken them to prominence.

“He also has displayed a tremendous aptitude to teach and develop talent. Personality wise, he is a great fit for our culture.”

In 12 season at Missouri-St. Louis, the Tritons went to six-straight NCAA Regionals from 2010-15 and five distinct players made it to the NCAA Championships. 

Earle led the Tritons to 41 tournament victories and 28 individual player medalist honors. He was named the Great Lakes Valley Conference Coach of the Year in 2010. 

Along with prompting Central Michigan in the right director, Earle plans to find his forever home right in Mount Pleasant. 

"I’ve always loved Michigan," he said. "It was an opportunity for my wife (Tracy) and me to get back to the Midwest and find our forever home. We couldn’t be more excited."