Transfers Marcus Griffin, Sean Adesanya experience culture difference at CMU

Central Michigan graduate transfers Marcus Griffin and Sean Adesanya pose for a picture at CMU Media Day on Aug. 19 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Coming to  Mount Pleasant has been a 180-degree change in culture for defensive tackle Marcus Griffin and defensive end Sean Adesanya, they said. 

Griffin, from Arizona, and Adesanya, from Illinois, are graduate transfers into CMU's program. Griffin only has one college season left, and Adesanya has two. 

Experiencing a culture change has come in two ways for each player. 

For Griffin, it's an alteration from a fast-paced lifestyle at Arizona to a quiet, humble city at Central Michigan University. 

"I wish I had a mall nearby, but at the same time you have what you need here," Griffin said.

Upon arriving at CMU, everyone zoned in on Griffin. Teammates were trying to figure him out. He was the first to admit it took time for other players to cozy up to him, especially coming from different  habits on the West coast.

Griffin, living with Clay Walderzak, Devon Spalding, Alex Neering and Joe Komel, has never stuck to a specific group of friends with the Chippewas. He eats breakfast, lunch and dinner with teammates to build relationships with everyone. 

"I probably spend more time with the defensive players, but I like to mess with (quarterback) Tony Poljan because he’s my dog," Griffin explained.

When Griffin opened his recruitment back up, he was considering Texas Tech, Maryland, Hawaii, Virginia and Oklahoma State. He wanted to take one official visit and make his commitment. 

Luckily for head coach John Bonamego, his first trip was to Mount Pleasant. An ensuing expedition from Bonamego to Griffin's home in Seattle sealed the deal. 

Griffin announced he'd be transferring from Arizona on Jan. 2, visited CMU on Feb. 17 and committed March 12. 

"(Bonamego's) always been there for me, so anytime I have a question or an issue, I can go to him," Griffin said. "Not too many other coaches are like that because he makes himself available.”

The defensive lineman was told during phone calls with schools that he needed them or the program will get him to the NFL. 

Bonamego said things differently, "If you come in and work, it can be yours." 

The honesty of Bonamego and the entire CMU staff sold Griffin on the program. Now, he is fighting for playing time as a defensive tackle heading into the season-opener against Kentucky on Sept. 1. 

Adesanya, on the other hand, has noticed the change in the form of CMU's intimacy. Coming from a Power Five conference school at Illinois, he felt like an aimless number on a roster. Now, he knows he is family with the Chippewas. 

"We went to coaches house to eat for dinner," Adesanya recollected. "Everybody here is like a brother and I really like it because we are so close."

When Adesanya visited CMU on Feb. 2, he promptly noticed Bonamengo had a players coach mentality. As the fourth-year Chippewas coach took time to learn more about his potential defensive end, Adesanya was shocked. 

"I was thinking how it’d be up there (at Illinois), but he actually cares about the individual," Adesanya said. "That really opened my eyes and reminded me why I started playing football in the first place.”

Adesanya went as far to say he wishes he had played for Bonamego throughout his entire football career. 

The 6-foot-3, 238-pound defensive lineman was limited to seven games over three seasons due to injuries with the Fighting Illini. He made 10 tackles in the 2017 season.  

Adesanya craves to help the team to the best of his abilities, and he must learn the playbook to do so. 

Bonamego said he would not risk losing the culture, attitude, mentality and confidence of the team in the transfer process.

All three of CMU's 2018 graduate transfers - Griffin, Adesanya and cornerback Xavier Crawford - fit the mold.  

“For me, it has to be a right fit,” Bonamego said. “I have to be convinced without a shadow of the doubt that these guys are going to come in and fit in our locker room, adopt our traditions and play our style. Otherwise, it’s not worth it. 

"They are reborn as Chippewas.”