Football's late resurgence against MSU shows positive signs

cmuvsmsu-fb-1
Freshmen running back Kobe Lewis pushes off an MSU defender on Sept. 29 at Spartan Stadium.

Since the 2018 football season started with the first day of fall practice on Aug. 3, John Bonamego often hesitated and showed signs of uncertainty when meeting with the media.

It wasn't until a 31-20 loss to No. 21 Michigan State on Sept. 29 in East Lansing that Central Michigan's coach made a more substantial evaluation than before. 

"We will be a very good football team down the stretch," Bonamego said.

From the start of fall camp to right before the game on Saturday, Bonamego spoke on the youth, inexperience, growing pains and early struggles of his players, but he never evaluated his Chippewas as a "very good football team."

For the first time this season, the fourth-year coach left the "young but talented" aspect out of his press conference.

He didn't have to speak on it because the inexperienced players showed poise in a second half rally, something Bonamego has been trying to get them to do all season. The Chippewas showed what they are made of, and nearly mounted a full comeback.

"I'm really proud of our guys and their fight," Bonamego said. "They came out in the second half and made a game out of it."

Following a 31-7 drubbing to Kansas on Sept. 8 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium, Bonamego said, "If we can improve, we will be a very good football team."

Giving the Jayhawks their first road victory after 49-straight losses away from Memorial Stadium, Bonamego made the "if we can improve" aspect a focal point of the press conference, discussing poor execution and inexperience of his team. 

A week earlier, in a 35-20 loss to Kentucky on Sept. 1 on the road, Bonamego said, "When we play our best, we can beat anybody."

That statement is also much different than the one he made in East Lansing on Saturday. Only a month earlier, Bonamego's words showed less confidence and what seemed like hope for luck.

Eventually, junior quarterback Tommy Lazzaro replaced redshirt freshman Tony Poljan. Offensive lineman Clay Walderzak returned from injury, third-string running back Romello Ross got on the field and redshirt freshman wide receiver Julian Hicks began to impress everyone. 

As players emerged, Bonamego finally dropped the first half of his sentence, leaving it as follows: "We will be a very good football team down the stretch." There were not words of uncertainty spoken at the beginning. Instead, a confident calling card for the Chippewas. 

Others on the team agree.

"Everything is still on the table for us," said defensive tackle Nathan Brisson-Fast. "MAC championship is the end goal, so we are staying motivated. We talk every day about finishing games, but we just have to start a little faster."

The Chippewas (1-4) nearly came back against the Spartans (3-1) with a few trick plays, surprising MSU coach Mark Dantonio. 

Bonamego's group cut a 31-3 deficit to 31-20 by the time the game ended. The trick plays included a flea-flicker 35-yard completion to receiver Brandon Childress, a 29-yard touchdown pass from running back Jonathan Ward to backup quarterback Poljan and a surprise onside kick recovered by the Chippewas.

"They do a nice job," Dantonio said. "I wasn't concerned about our focus, I was concerned about Central. They did not disappoint. Credit to Central."

CMU returns home for a noon game on Oct. 6 against Buffalo. Bonamego still wants to clean up self-inflicted wounds, but CMU's near comeback allowed him to realize where his team truly could be a few weeks into Mid-American Conference play.

"It's a game of execution and a game of mistakes," Bonamego said. "We had too many penalties and turnovers in the first half. You can't do that against Michigan State and expect to win. I'm very proud of our guys. We will look at this and improve off it."

Lazzaro finished 19-of-34 through the air for 153 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions. He added 11 carries for 32 yards. The leading receiver was Hicks, making five catches for 41 yards and one score. 

Hicks, Lazzaro and the entire offense never gave up. 

"I love the fight in our guys," Lazzaro said. "A lot of teams would give up in that situation, but our guys stepped up and made some incredible plays in the second half. We just ran out of time."

Bonamego said Central Michigan still has a long way to go in order to secure a MAC championship. 

But as he added, the Chippewas will be a good team down the stretch – when it actually counts.