Football could make it 50 straight road losses for Kansas

jpra0020
Central Michigan Chippewas quarterback Tony Poljan (1) throws a pass during the Kentucky vs. Central Michigan game on Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018, in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 35-20. Courtesy Photo | Jordan Prather

It's been 49 road games over the course of nine years since the Kansas Jayhawks have won a football contest away from Memorial Stadium. 

The Central Michigan football team aims to make it 50-straight road losses for the Jayhawks, who are already off to a 0-1 start in 2018 after dropping Week 1 to FCS opponent Nicholls State. The game kicks off at 3 p.m. on Sept. 8 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. 

As a matter of fact, the last time Kansas earned a victory on the road was in a 34-7 defeat of UTEP on Sept. 26, 2009. CMU starting quarterback Tony Poljan was 12 years old – starting safety Devonni Reed was 11. 

“They are a talented team that has not won very much,” Bonamego said. “To me, that makes them dangerous.”

Under head coach David Beaty, the Jayhawks are 3-34 in three seasons. Against Nicholls State in Week 1, Kansas was led by starting senior quarterback Peyton Bender, who completed 19-of-35 passes for 187 yards and two touchdowns. 

Poljan, in his second career start for CMU, will aim to better Bender on Saturday. A season ago, Shane Morris was 28-of-37 for 467 yards and five touchdowns in a 45-27 victory for the Chippewas against Kansas. 

Against Kentucky in the season opener, the 6-foot-7 quarterback managed to run the ball 16 times for 47 yards. 

Beaty said his team is focused on the differences between Morris in 2017 and Poljan in 2018. 

"The quarterback is very different from the one they had last year," Beaty said. "He’s a big ol’ guy. Not the fastest guy like the Morris kid was, but he is a big dude. He can hurt you with his arm, and he’s not easy to tackle."

Junior running back Jonathan Ward is the clear-cut star for the Chippewas but needs to amp up his production. He only went 36 yards on 11 carries last week. 

With third-string running back Romello Ross injured, CMU will be forced to use true freshman Kobe Lewis as the third back behind Ward and redshirt sophomore Kumehnnu Gwilly. 

The main problem for Ward and the CMU offense in Week 1 was getting through the growing pains, which is something junior wide receiver Brandon Childress has been stressing to his teammates. 

Against Kentucky, the Chippewas were shutout in the second half as a part of a 35-20 loss. 

“Every offense around America expects growing pains in Week 1,” Childress said. “I feel like we have so much more to grow. It wouldn’t be fun if we gave our best Week 1 and never again. We are trying to get better every week.”

For Kansas, Bender is accurate, gets the ball out quick and can beat opponents with his legs. If he is unable to deliver early, the Jayhawks plan to switch over to JUCO transfer Miles Kendrick, who presents more of a dual-threat look under center. 

Central Michigan head coach John Bonamego specifically pointed out three seniors – defensive tackle Daniel Wise, linebacker Joe Dineen Jr. and safety Tyrone Miller Jr. – as players that he believes will present problems in the game. 

"(Joe Dineen) can play anywhere in the country," Bonamego said. "He's a high motor, high energy and fly around player who has a ton of heart and grit. He's fun to watch." 

Reed, a redshirt freshman starting safety for CMU, delivered 14 tackles (11 solo) and one interception returned 20 yards for a touchdown. He said the hope is to only improve from the performance against Kentucky, which earned him Mid-American Conference East Defensive Player of the Week. 

Notable reserve players on CMU's defense – linebacker Trevor Apsey and safety Tyjuan Swain – will not play in the first half due to targeting penalties. 

The other two top offensive options for Kansas include running backs Khalil Herbert and Dom Williams. Herbert's most impressive college game in his career was a 291-yard and two touchdown performance in 2017 against West Virginia. 

True freshman running back Anthony Williams, a four-star prospect from Hahnville High School, will not play due to a nondisciplinary reason.  

Despite Kansas' struggles over the past decade, Bonamego's team is not looking past its upcoming Big 12 Conference opponent. 

“You always have to respect the enemy,” Reed said of Kansas.