'More than a league opener': Football battles Northern Illinois for first win of season

cmuvskansas-bws-17
Senior Defensive line Marcus Griffin forces himself through the Kansas offensive line on Sept. 8 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Central Michigan football has won four-straight games against Northern Illinois in recent years. Seeking their first win of 2018, the Chippewas will try to make it five in a row on Saturday. 

At 3:30 p.m. Sept. 15 at Huskie Stadium, the Mid-American Conference matchup features two of the worst offenses in the NCAA Division I FBS. 

The Chippewas (0-2) are ranked No. 122 in total offense, and the Huskies (0-2) come into Saturday's matchup at No. 127. There are 128 total teams in the FBS. 

CMU is a week removed from its catastrophic 31-7 loss to Kansas at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. The Chippewas gave the Jayhawks their first road win since 2009. 

The week prior, it was a 35-20 deficit at Kentucky. 

The chief emphasis in practice from head coach John Bonamego to his players focused on execution, patience and getting the atrocious taste out of the team's mouth after back-to-back losses. 

"It's more than league opener. For our football team, this is a chance to play better," Bonamego said. "The motivation is to get a win, but we are aware that it’s a (MAC) game against a team that’s predicted to win (the championship)."

Throughout the first two weeks of football, junior running back Jonathan Ward accumulated 65 yards on 21 carries. Coming into the season, he was ranked as the No. 36 running back in the nation by Athlon Sports

After practice on Tuesday, during the designated media availability time, Ward declined an interview with Central Michigan Life

Even though Ward shied away from reporters, Bonamego talked about the need to improve the run game which helps open up passing options for redshirt sophomore quarterback Tony Poljan. 

"We need to be a little more patient with the run game because you have to commit to it," Bonamego added. "We had some positive runs early (against Kansas) and got away from it a little bit."

Poljan, like Ward, has not had much success early in the season. The 6-foot-7 dual-threat quarterback is 35-of-59 through the air for 314 yards, one touchdown and four interceptions. He is the team's leading rusher with 90 total yards. 

The lone passing score from Poljan came on a 31-yard strike to a wide-open Jamil Sabbagh against Kansas. Poljan's expected top target, junior receiver Brandon Childress, has six receptions for 58 yards – as well as multiple offensive pass interference calls and a fumble. 

CMU's offense has accounted for only 14 of the team's 27 points. 

Redshirt sophomore Kumehnnu Gwilly is only running back with a touchdown. He scored against Kentucky and has 57 yards on the season. 

CMU's strength has come courtesy of the defense. The group cataloged four turnovers in the first half against Kentucky but have not forced any since. 

Redshirt freshman safety Devonni Reed is leading the way with 23 tackles, one pass defended, one fumble recovery and one defensive touchdown. Right behind him is senior linebacker Malik Fountain with 17 tackles and one pass defended. 

Common Goals

Another valuable asset to the Chippewas is second-string safety Da'Quaun Jamison. He said the MAC opener against Northern Illinois has brought the team a more driven, competitive edge in practice. 

"We are all reaching for one goal, and it’s the MAC championship," Jamison said. "Any game in the MAC is going to count. In the end, we know we will pick it up and be successful."

As for the 0-2 start to the season, Bonamego said he will shoulder the criticism. 

"It’s my responsibility," the fourth-year coach said. "All (us coaches) can do it try to put guys in the best position we can and get them to play hard with good technique."

Scouting Northern Illinois

The key player from Northern Illinois that Bonamego has his eyes on is junior defensive end Sutton Smith. In a 17-6 loss to Utah, the All-American made eight tackles, 4.5 tackles for a loss and two sacks. 

Bonamego said he has talked with Poljan on how to prepare for Sutton's presence. Even though Sutton is not a player CMU will be able to shut down entirely, Bonamego hopes to at least slow him down throughout the game. 

"I wish he would graduate already, but I have a ton of a respect about him," Bonamego said. "The things I like best about him are the energy, passion and effort he plays with."

Smith has been around for multiple losses to Central Michigan. He is ready for the tide to turn back into the Huskies' favor. 

Last year, the Chippewas posted 14 points in the fourth quarter in former quarterback Shane Morris' comeback heroics for a 31-24 win in Mount Pleasant. 

"We took our foot off their throat and they came back to win (last season)," Smith said. "It's time the tables turn." 

Northern Illinois coach Rod Carey will start sophomore quarterback Marcus Childers against CMU. Through two games, the 6-foot signal caller is 32-for-58 with 216 yards, one touchdown and one interception. 

Childers has been sacked eight times by opposing defenders.