New apartment complex in the first phase of construction

0f4a3473

Construction takes place across the street from the Cabin on Sept. 13 on the corner of Broomfield and S. Crawford Rd. 

Heading down West Broomfield Street past The Cabin, passerby may notice an expanse of agitated dirt where there once was a grassy field. 

This is the beginning of a construction project by Henkel Apartments to erect a new apartment complex, The Bravado, that will house 60 apartment units when completed. 

One of the eight buildings in the complex will be ready to lease by Jan. 1, 2019, said Mike Henkel, owner of Henkel Apartments. 

According to the Henkel Apartments website, the apartments will be pre-leased and are now being leased for January 2019 and Summer 2019. 

The building project will take four years, and will spread across five phases, Henkel said. Olivieri Builders will oversee the construction of the project, said Jacob Kain, Mount Pleasant's city planner. 

The first phase will be the completion of one building. The price will be in the $400 range per person, and will be targeted to both students and Mount Pleasant residents, Henkel said.

Henkel said each apartment will include the following:

· Two bedrooms

· Two bathrooms

· An open kitchen

· An open living space

· Granite countertops

· Stainless steel appliances (washer, dryer, and dishwasher)

He said these apartments will be marketed as "high-end" apartments.

“We’re trying to make the best two-bedroom apartments in Mount Pleasant, student or non-student,” Henkel said. “We’re going with the HGTV style with them. We’re trying to really doll them up and make them look like million-dollar homes.”

Certain aspects of these apartments however, could deter some Central Michigan University students if they were looking for apartments. Ionia junior, Larissa Piggott, said while the apartment concepts look nice and justifies the price range, said she would prefer living with more than one person. 

Henkel also owns Chip Village, Colony East, Broomfield Village and Deming Drive apartment complexes in Mount Pleasant.