'Soup and Substance' to host worldwide political activists

cmlife

This month's Soup and Substance event brings international leaders to Central Michigan University.

The Office of Diversity Education will hold Soup and Substance: Open World Exchange Oct. 4 at noon in the Bovee University Center.

The Department of Political Science & Public Administration is collaborating with the office of Diversity Education to make the event possible.

The Open World Program is sponsored by the United States Congress and brings leaders to the U.S. from different countries to allow them to participate in democracy and free enterprise.

“Students should attend to meet political activists struggling to bring democracy to Russia by overcoming Putin's propaganda and intimidation,” said Department of Political Science & Public Administration chairperson David Jesuit. “The activists will discuss their experiences and would like to hear from students and others about democracy and the US.” 

There will be informal discussion following the activists' introductions to give students to the opportunity to ask questions.

“In addition, we will be discussing the fall of (the) USSR, birth of democracy and relapse towards authoritarianism in Russia, which fits the theme of Critical Engagement "End of the World" quite well,” Jesuit said.

All Soup and Substance events are free and open to the public.