Coaching ties lead Chris Davis back to Central Michigan

Central Michigan head coach Keno Davis poses for a picture with new assistant coach Chris Davis on Sept. 25 at McGuirk Arena.

After departing from the Central Michigan men’s basketball team for an assistant coaching position in 2017-18 with Air Force, Chris Davis thought he had found a new home. Then Keno Davis called. 

“There were other jobs and places that would’ve loved to have (Chris),” Keno said. “When I told him about the opening on the staff he told me if it were any other job, the timing wouldn’t be right. But he was excited about the chance to be back at CMU. That sold me because when you have someone excited to be at your program, you want them even more."

On Sept. 17, CMU athletics announced that Chris was returning to the program. To Chris, it was a job he couldn’t pass up.

“There are some people who talk about athletes and say they are better people than they are players, they say the same about coaches and (Keno) is a better person than he is a coach,” Chris said. “When I got the call I’ll be very honest it was tough because I loved Air Force."

Chris smiled and nodded his head towards Keno, who was coaching a drill in practice.

“It’s because of that man over there, he doesn’t want to hear it because he’s too modest but it was because of working with him.”

Keno and Chris have a coaching history that dates back to days before the 2016-17 season when Keno added Chris to the staff as a video coordinator. Chris spent time coaching with and under Keno at Drake (2003-08) and Providence (2008-11) as well.

“When we won the Missouri Valley Conference Championship we won 21 games in a row and were ranked fourteenth in the country and you don’t just forget those things,” Chris said. “When I think back on it, it’s one of my most fond memories of coaching and it happened with Keno.”

The Bulldogs, led by Keno as the head coach with Chris as an assistant went to the NCAA Tournament’s Round of 64 in the 2007-08 season and finished with a 15-3 record in the conference.

Keno Davis and Chris Davis clap during a basketball game at Drake University. (Courtesy Photo | Drake Athletics)

Even when Keno headed to CMU in 2012, separating the coaches from being on the same staff at Providence, they remained in contact.

“We’ve always had a great working relationship even though we don’t always agree but we can see the other side of things,” Keno said. “We develop as coaches from hearing a different perspective. So even when we weren’t on the same coaching staffs we were still having conversations on what we were learning on the floor or recruiting front.”

Approaching Keno for questions on basketball and life is something Chris has always found easy. Chris would call Keno in the afternoon or text him basketball questions pretty often. 

Chris' family has lived in Jackson, Michigan his whole life. Chris earned his bachelor's degree from the University of Michigan and a master’s degree in sports administration from Western Michigan.

He's coached for 32 years, going back to when he started at the Chippewas’ rival school — WMU. Outside of Drake, Providence, CMU and WMU, Chris has been with Grand Valley State, Kent State and UC Davis. 

On the floor as an assistant coach, Chris wants to help in anyway he can to better the program.

“I want to help the players and coaches reach their full potential and have a chance to compete for a (MAC) Championship,” Chris said.

Keno said Chris is helpful by building positive relationships with the players.

“When you have the years, experience and success he has had you see things and know which buttons need to be pushed," Keno said.