Volleyball defeated at Ball State, stay winless in MAC

dsc-0398-15

Headcoach Mike Gawlik talks to the women's volleyball team from the sidelines against opponent Ohio University on Saturday, Sept. 22 in McGuirk Arena. 

Failing to pick up its first conference win of the season, the Central Michigan volleyball team was defeated at Ball State, 3-0 (17-25, 25-27, 23-25). 

CMU falls to 3-13 on the season and 0-4 in the Mid-American conference. It marks the seventh straight loss for the Chippewas, who have won just one match in the month of September. 

Ball State easily handled the Chippewas in the first set with CMU recording nine attack errors. 

The Chippewas kept it much closer in sets two and three, losing just by two points in each set. CMU finished with a .179 hitting percentage, much improved from the previous game at Toledo where CMU recorded .095.

Freshman Maddie Whitfield finished with a team high 13 kills on 23 attempts in the losing effort. Freshman Kendall Braate led with 21 assists and junior libero Meg Kern picked up 20 digs. 

In their previous game, the Chippewas fell at Toledo, 3-0. 

CMU kept it close in each of the three sets, trading the lead in the opening two sets before Toledo made a late-set charge. The Rockets finished set one and set two on a 9-2 run and a 6-2 run, respectively. In set three, CMU was tied with Toledo a total of seven times before falling by just two points. 

"I didn't feel that it was our best performance," said head coach Mike Gawlik. "I feel that we need more from a lot of people."

Western Michigan travels to Mount Pleasant for a rivalry showdown against CMU at 7 p.m. October 5 at McGuirk Arena. The Broncos have an 11-7 record this season.