Women's soccer finishes 0-2 at Hawkeye Invitational

0f4a9203
Senior midfielder Shannon Magnan (right) and freshman forward Abbi Morrell (left) celebrate after a goal on Aug. 19 at the CMU Soccer Complex.

The 2018 Hawkeye Invitational did not fair well for Central Michigan Women’s soccer, losing 3-1 to Iowa on Friday and 2-1 in overtime to Northern Iowa Sunday in Iowa City. 

The Chippewas fall to 1-4 overall after this weekends action.

Senior midfielder Shannon Magnan and sophomore midfielder Sheila Magnon each added a goal during the weekend. 

Hawkeyes heat up

CMU did not take long to strike Friday night. Sheila Magnan scored at the nine minute mark to give the Chippewas an early 1-0 lead. Iowa responded with Natalie Winters’ second goal of the season to tie the game at the 32 minute mark.

The Hawkeyes took control of the game in the second half with goals from Josie Durr and Winters just over six minutes apart at the 60 and 66 minute marks respectively to give Iowa a commanding 3-1 lead, giving the Hawkeyes their third win of the season.

CMU was outshot by Iowa 13-8 and outshot 8-3 for shots on goal. The Chippewas won the corner kick battle 5-2.

Chippewas fall in overtime

CMU struck first for the second straight game with Shannon Magnan’s second goal of the season at the 18 minute mark. The Chippewas would carry their lead into halftime.

Northern Iowa tied the game at one during the 77 minute mark with Kelsey Yarrow’s first goal of the season. Neither team could find the back of the net for the remainder of regulation, forcing overtime.

UNI’s Jordyn Rolli would seal the game for the Panthers at the 97 minute mark with her first goal of the season following a rebound off of CMU redshirt freshman goalkeeper Brinanna Wallbridge, who entered in relief of sophomore Morgan Britain for the second half. 

The Chippewas were outshot 16-8, 7-4 on goal. CMU also earned 10 fouls to UNI’s nine and were given two corner opportunities to the Panthers four.  

What's Next

CMU travels to Ann Arbor for a clash with Michigan at 5 p.m. Friday, Sep. 7.