Behind Enemy Lines: Q&A with Buffalo WR Anthony Johnson, LB Khalil Hodge

Buffalo linebacker Khalil Hodge (left) and wide receiver Anthony Johnson (right) pose for a portrait on June 24 at Mid-American Conference Media Day. 

Central Michigan Life's Evan Petzold spoke with Buffalo wide receiver Anthony Johnson and linebacker Khalil Hodge to preview Central Michigan's noon Oct. 6 game against the Bulls at Kelly/Shorts Stadium in Mount Pleasant.

Buffalo finished with a 6-6 (4-4, Mid-American Conference) record in 2017. The last time Buffalo played CMU was Oct. 17, 2015. The Chippewas won the game at home, 51-14. 

The Bulls are 4-1 to start 2018 after losing 42-13 to Army in Week 5. Buffalo has topped Delaware State, Temple, Eastern Michigan and Rutgers.

Throughout the 2018 season, Johnson has made 18 receptions for 308 yards and three touchdowns. In 2017, the 6-foot-2, 207-pound receiver made 76 catches for 1,356 yards and 14 scores. 

Hodge, as a 6-foot-1, 235-pound linebacker, has played in all five games for Buffalo this campaign, making 67 tackles, three tackles for a loss and two passes defended. In 29 career games for the Bulls, his stat line includes 343 tackles, 16.5 tackles for a loss, four sacks, two interceptions and two forced fumbles. 

Johnson and Hodge discuss preparing for a young team like Central Michigan and the legacy of former CMU receiver Antonio Brown in this exclusive Q&A.

Anthony Johnson

Central Michigan Life: How do you prepare for a youthful team like the Chippewas?

"Backup guys are always preparing for the start. You can't ever count anybody out. We have to be ready to step up, watch film and learn who to watch for." 

Now that Mid-American Conference play is fully underway, what are you excited for?

"We are ready to open eyes and show people what kind of firepower we have coming since everyone is healthy." 

Being a wide receiver, do you look up to former CMU legend Antonio Brown?

"I look up to Antonio Brown as one of the top guys in the NFL. I want to make it out of the MAC and do what he did as well. Brown is one of the greatest receivers of all time."

Khalil Hodge

Central Michigan Life: What do you know about Central Michigan's football team?

"To be honest, I don't know much about Central. I've never played them before. It's not harder to prepare, but we respect every opponent we play. Our approach hasn't changed since Week 1. It's going to be the same approach."

What has your senior season been like so far?

"It's my senior season. I'm taking it one game at a time. I'm enjoying the process because this is the last time for me."

Does it mean anything to you that Antonio Brown played at CMU? 

"Anybody that's helped put on for the MAC is cool. For a guy like Antonio Brown, who is one of the best in the NFL, to come out of CMU, it'll be cool to play on the same field he played on."