All bets are off: Football looks to end MAC losing skid in rivalry fashion

western3
Sophomore running back Jonathan Ward gets pushed out of bounds during the game against Western Michigan on Nov. 1 in Waldo Stadium.

Last season, Central Michigan football players didn't have to worry about quarterback Jon Wassink in the Western Michigan rivalry game.

Now, they do. 

Back in 2017, Wassink suffered a broken collarbone one game prior to the showdown against CMU, which ended in a 35-28 victory for the Chippewas. He's back and better than ever. with 143-of-231 passing for 1,924 yards, 19 touchdowns and six interceptions on the 2018 season. 

Central Michigan takes on Western Michigan in hopes of snapping an FBS losing streak dating back to the 2017 season and an 0-3 start to Mid-American Conference play. 

The Chippewas (1-6, 0-3 MAC) play host to the Broncos (5-2, 3-0 MAC) at 3 p.m. on Oct. 20 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

"It's Western, so nothing could be more important," head coach John Bonamego said. 

In order to get a win, Bonamego said the Chippewas need to come out on top in all three phases of the game – offense, defense and special teams. 

Lazzaro's First WMU Test

Junior quarterback Tommy Lazzaro is ready making his first career appearance against the Broncos. He is 59-of-117 for 607 yards, five touchdowns and eight interceptions, along with three rushing scores on 349 yards, since taking over under center in Week 3.

"There's nothing like a game day on a rivalry weekend, especially in college football," Lazzaro said. "Being at our home field and playing our rival, it's going to be a great feeling."

However, Lazzaro has already started a rivalry-type game against Michigan State on Sept. 29, but he said nothing compares to WMU. 

Lazzaro threw two interceptions and scored just once in a 31-20 loss to MSU. His main focus is to calm the Chippewas down, something they struggled to do against Michigan State. 

"Obviously, there's a lot of energy and emotion in practice, but I'm doing my best to prepare," Lazzaro said. "If we execute, we will be fine." 

CMU junior running back Jonathan Ward is one of a few players battling back from injuries. In CMU's 24-23 loss to Ball State a week ago, Ward did not take a snap at running back.

Across the MAC in Week 6, Bonamego noted the Chippewas were not the only team to play in a close contest. Northern Illinois, Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan and Ball State all came out on top by one score or less. 

Buffalo, which beat CMU by 10 points on Oct. 6, clinched bowl eligibility. WMU only needs one more win to do the same. 

"It speaks to the closeness of the league," Bonamego said. "Buffalo is the best team we've seen so far, and I think Western (Michigan) is probably the next best."

Scouting Western Michigan

The Broncos defense is anchored by linebacker Drake Spears, who has 49 tackles, six tackles for a loss, two sacks and one forced fumble. 

Lazzaro is prepared to make a statement against what he described as a "really good" defense. 

"It's going to be a good test because I feel like we've done nothing other than get better every week," Lazzaro said. "They do a lot of things really well."

On the offensive side of the ball, Wassink runs the show. Running backs LeVante Bellamy and Jamauri Bogan are also threats to score, registering a combined 1,038 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns. 

Freshman wide receiver Jayden Reed, through seven games, has caught six touchdowns – the same amount as No. 5 overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft Corey Davis had through 11 games as a freshman for WMU. 

Reed's emergence, going hand-in-hand with D'Wayne Eskridge's consistent production, has caught the eye of CMU's defense.

"(Wassink) isn't a scrambler like some of the guys we have faced, but we have to get him up front," said CMU linebacker Alex Briones. "We know it'll go down to the wire."

CMU has lost three-straight to Western Michigan at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. It's last home win against the Broncos came in 2010. Since 2000, the series is tied, 9-9.

The Chippewas, led by Lazzaro, have no plans to allow early season woes to slow them down. 

"I love these guys to death," the junior quarterback said. "Nobody's giving up. We have five games left, so we can go 6-6 and make a bowl game. Everyone has hope."