5th Annual Global Ethics Day to bring ambassador from the Republic of Korea

5th annual celebration of Global Ethics Day brings ambassador Oh Joon to CMU

oh-joon-profile-picture
Oh Joon

For the fifth annual celebration of Global Ethics Day, the Center for International Ethics invited his Excellency Ambassador Oh Joon to visit Central Michigan University.

Oh will give a seminar from 4-5:30 p.m. Oct. 12 in the Sarah and Daniel Opperman Auditorium in Charles V. Park Library.  

Currently, Oh works as a professor at The Graduate Institute of Peace Studies at Kyung Hee University in Seoul, South Korea. 

Oh will talk about rights for those with disabilities, sports diplomacy and the relationship between North and South Korea.  

“Students will deepen their understanding of international ethics and will see a concrete example of how one person labors for peace and justice on the world stage,” said Hope May, director of the Center for International Ethics.  

Oh was present when both Koreas were admitted into the United Nations. He served as Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Korea for the United Nations, and was the 71st President of the Economic and Social Council. He also was President of the Conference of States Parties to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. 

His wide range of experience and knowledge as a career diplomat will be beneficial to those interested in the field, May said. 

The seminar is sponsored by the department of philosophy and religion and the Honors Program. The event is free and open to the public.