Multicultural Academic Student Services educates through Hispanic Heritage Month

dsc-0294-2

Alley Byrd, daughter of instructor Vanisa Byrd, dances during Zumba for Hispanic Heritage Month in the Student Activities Center on Wednesday, Oct. 3. 

Central Michigan University’s long-held cultural tradition of Hispanic Heritage Month celebrates many aspects of Hispanic culture through exotic foods, dance, arts, and a variety of educational speakers.

The event, organized by the Multicultural Academic Student Services (MASS) office, aims to educate individuals on the aspects of Hispanic culture. It begins Sept. 15 and ends Oct. 15 and has been an annual tradition at CMU for about 20 years.

“Hispanic Heritage Month is a universal celebration. It gives our campus the ability to celebrate the great history of many Hispanic countries and multiculturalism within language, food and overall culture” said Jonathan Glenn, MASS office assistant director.

Hispanic Heritage month at Central Michigan University is celebrated through a variety of events -- from Latinx discussions to painting; from Latin dance to movies that highlight the significance of Hispanic culture. 

These events are primarily supported by Registered Student Organization Empowered Latino Union and are designed to be an educational, informative experience for all who celebrate and participate. All events are open to the public, and most are free. 

“They’re giving me better knowledge on my culture,” said Waterford freshman Kevin Bautista-Mancilla. “There are some things like ‘Woah, I didn’t know Hispanics did that.’”

The MASS office, in addition to Hispanic Heritage Month, also organizes Black, Asian/Pacific American and Native American history months throughout the year to celebrate as many cultural groups as possible.

"It’s just a month, but by us being able to celebrate this culture throughout the month, it gives someone like me who’s African-American a deeper understanding of another culture that is not mine," said Glenn.

Although the month's events aim to educate all groups on campus, it also provides a community where Hispanic students can get to meet others with the same heritage. 

“As a Hispanic myself, I find Hispanic Heritage Month (gives me an) opportunity to connect to an aspect of my life I wouldn’t normally find myself connecting to. I think that’s something very special.” said Ionia freshman Jose Velasco.