SGA to host special events in upcoming month

sga-10-22041

SGA Diversity Committee members gather to talk about their event to show 'Fahrenheit  451' with Program Board on Oct. 22 in the Bovee University Center Auditorium. 

The Central Michigan University Student Government Association received updates on special events, as well as committee updates, at House and Senate meetings 7 p.m. Monday, Oct. 22 in the Bovee University Center.

RSOs on campus may soon see a change to their bylaw requirements. Diversity committee chair Gabrielle Mason is currently working on a requirement for all RSOs who receive SGA funding to include a statement of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in their bylaws. This will be led by a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion committee, which is still in the works. Mason will be meeting with Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer A.T. Miller soon to discuss this further.

There will be a series of special events coming up in the next month hosted by SGA. 

City commission working with SGA

Student Government Association meets at 7 p.m. Mondays in the Bovee University Center Auditorium. Meetings are free to attend, but students must bring their CMU Global ID cards to check in prior to entering.

During SGA's next general board meeting, Mount Pleasant City Commission will join SGA to hold a joint meeting at 7 p.m. Monday, Oct. 29 in the Bovee University Center Auditorium. 

City commissioners will conduct a normal city commission meeting, according to SGA Press Secretary Nick Latuszek.

"Doing so would allow students to talk to (city commissioners) regarding important issues within the community, and provide students the opportunity to ask the city commissioners questions," he said.

Cinema for Social Change

SGA's diversity committee will host a showing of the movie Fahrenheit 451 at 6 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 1 in Pearce 127. 

This will be the first in a series called "Cinema for Social Change," which aims to present movies to the student body that will promote conversation about certain topics. 

Following the showing of Fahrenheit 451, diversity committee members will facilitate a discussion with viewers about the movie's impact.

"Fahrenheit 451 is all about government control of rules," said Mason. "When I first saw (the movie), I knew it was extremely important. We want to cause students to question the importance of academia, to see that a book is more than just a book."

Student Body Town Hall

The date of SGA's Student Body Town Hall forum has been changed so as not to interfere with the Dance United fundraising event. 

The forum will now take place at 7 p.m. Nov. 29 in the Park Library Auditorium. 

This will be the second annual Student Body Town Hall hosted by SGA. Last year's Student Body Town Hall had around 40 community members in attendance, and more than 400 viewers via Facebook livestream. 

The purpose of the forum is to encourage the student body to express opinions on the university to SGA executive board members. There will be an opportunity to submit questions anonymously online.