MJ Murphy Beauty School provides an alternative education opportunity in Mount Pleasant

hosang-beautyskool-3

Senior Instructor Erin Williams (left) assists Aubrey Cook (right) in her first balayage technique on October 29, 2018. Cook is working on her younger sister, Abigail Schaefer.

Courtney Winn entered Central Michigan University following her high school graduation in 2015. 60 completed credits later, the Livonia student decided a university education wasn't for her.

While still enrolled at CMU, Winn was involved in adopt a grandparent, the Therapeutic Rec Club, Occupational Therapy Club and was the former President of Alpha Phi Omega Co-Ed Service fraternity. Now, she's a cosmetology student at MJ Murphy Beauty School in downtown Mt. Pleasant, MI. 

Winn was one of the 19.9 million students that the National Center for Education Statistics projected to attend American universities in 2016. The percentage of students enrolling in college in the fall immediately following high school completion was 69.8 percent in 2016. The remaining 30 percent find themselves funneled into the workforce, trade school, or down other paths.

How does an 18 year old decipher the right path to take? Every high school has a different approach in helping young adults answer that question. Counselors, teachers, and administrators plan courses around it, establish career fairs, meet with students one on one to ensure they are assessing their risk and approach. But when it comes to the future, each individual walks with equal uncertainty and varying goals.  

“I felt like if I didn’t get into a good school and graduate, I’d bring shame to my family. I think that’s why I stayed with school for so long actually,” Winn said. 

Following five changes in her major, failed classes and indecision surrounding a future career path, Winn quit attending CMU in December 2017. In the three years she had spent at the university, she had 60 completed credits and collected $48,000 in student loan debt.

During her time at CMU, Winn changed her major five separate times, almost once every semester. With every switch, she would try to convince herself -- and everyone else -- of her newfound clarity.  

“People didn’t know I was bluffing,” Winn said. 

In April, Winn began school at the MJ Murphy Beauty School, working through the 1,500 hour curriculum to graduate as a certified cosmetologist. The program costs $14,200 and consists of theory and practice in skin care, hairdressing, hair coloring and nail care.  

Mount Pleasant high school senior Payton Bradford works on her make-up for Halloween on October 31, 2018. Halloween is a elevated day in beauty school, as the stylists are able to showcase the skills they practice in and out of the classroom on a daily basis.  

The MJ Murphy Beauty school has been part of the Mt. Pleasant community for over 70 years and aims to provide education and vocational training in cosmetology to students of all backgrounds and ages. 

“It’s a really wonderful program, especially for students who are not conventional learners," said third year Senior Instructor Erin Williams.  

Williams graduated from MJ Murphy in 2009 and worked as a stylist for JCPenney for six years before returning as an instructor.

High schools across Isabella county participate in Career and Technical Education programs, one of which brings students to the beauty school. The two-year bulletin provides high school students an opportunity to complete the 1500 hour program throughout the summer and portions of their school day, free of cost, covered by the taxpayers of Isabella County. 

“I have assumed since grade school I was never going to college because of our family situation,” said 17 year old Mount Pleasant high school senior Payton Bradford. 

A participant in the high school vocational program at MJ Murphy, Bradford hopes to work locally as a cosmetologist after high school and program graduation. She has received a scholarship that will cover 90 percent of the first two years of her tuition at Mid Michigan Community College. She plans to pay for the remaining 10 percent will with her part-time cosmetology job.  

“I’m proud that I chose this path. Using common sense, it wouldn’t have been smart of me to go to college knowing I can’t afford it, knowing my family wouldn’t be able to help and I would have no assistance," Bradford said.

Winn and Bradford are classmates, but their path to beauty school followed different stories. The factors affecting them involved parallels within their families, high school career services and monetary consequences that will follow them into their future.

“My mom is in lots and lots of debt. I didn’t want to go to college for that exact reason. I don’t ever want to have to worry about it, at all. That’s one of the reasons I was so happy about doing this program, I won’t be in any debt after this.” Bradford said.