Chippewas sign three to women's basketball team

cmuvsoakland-9
Head coach Sue Guevara stands for the national anthem on Nov. 8 at McGuirk Arena.

Sue Guevara has officially added three new women's basketball players for Central Michigan. 

On Signing Day, Midland Dow guard Molly Davis, Saginaw Heritage forward Shine Strickland-Gills and Warren Cousino guard Kate McArthur pledged to join Guevara's program beginning in the 2019-20 season. 

"Overall I think this class brings a lot of energy to our program," Guevara said. "They've all got a great work ethic and are real tough-minded kids. I think they are all going fill needs for us at their positions down the road."

Molly Davis

Davis, a 5-foot-7 guard, dropped in 832 points during her first three seasons at Dow High School in Midland. In 2017-18, Davis averaged a team-high 17.1 points per game. 

"Molly is a point guard that brings a high-tempo style of play and is a real mentally tough kid," Guevara said. "She can shoot the ball and has played against some of the best in the country. I think our fans are really going to love watching her play."

Shine Strickland-Gills

Strickland-Gills averaged 12.5 points, 9.5 rebounds, 2.5 blocks and 2.0 steals per game in the 2017-18 season for Heritage High School in Saginaw. 

The 6-foot forward was named State Finals Class A MVP, First Team Saginaw Valley League and has been a member of three-straight SVL championship teams. 

"Shine is a leaper and can help us set up the floor," Guevara said. "She also has a real quick jumper and can play with her back to the basket."

Kate McArthur

McArthur is a 5-foot-8 guard from Cousino High School in Warren. Following the conclusion of her junior 2017-18 season, McArthur already accumulated more than 1,000 career points for the Patriots and was a two-year team captain. As a junior, McArthur was named First Team All-State by the Detroit News and Detroit Free Press.

"She's strong and a great 3-point shooter who can run the floor," Guevara said of McArthur.