Chippewa Watershed Conservancy Speaker Series to discuss how birds survive Michigan winters

While some birds migrate south, the presentation will focus on birds that stay in Michigan all year

19293_logot

The Chippewa Watershed Conservancy Guest Speaker Series will discuss the adaptations birds have that allow them to survive the winter. 

The presentation will be 7 p.m. Nov. 28 at the Veterans Memorial Library in the annex room at the back of the library. The Veterans Memorial Library is located at 301 S. University Ave. in Mount Pleasant.

The guest speaker is Jeanne Henderson, a Chippewa Nature Center interpretive naturalist. An interpretive naturalist's job is to present information about the environment to visitors and community members.

She will talk about how birds survive cold winters using adaptations that protect them from harsh weather conditions, reduced food supplies, shorter days and high competition. 

Alexis Wixson, development and outreach coordinator for the Chippewa Watershed Conservancy, said Henderson will speak briefly about birds that migrate, but will focus on birds that stay in the north during winter. 

“[The program] is a way to get in touch with nature without having to necessarily bundle up in all your winter clothes and go hiking around,” said Wixson. 

The event is free and open to the public.