2018 NewVenture winner Elemental launches Kickstarter campaign

team-on-window-ledge

Courtesy Photo | Katie Koenigsknecht

From left to right, Sue Wroblewski, Haley Rusicka, Emily Austin.

The most recent NewVenture winner plans to begin fulfilling orders and selling products in the next few months.

The company, Elemental, created a thermal bra to help breast cancer survivors stay warm. After a mastectomy, breast tissue is sensitive, making it susceptible to cold.

The company currently has an "all or nothing" Kickstarter campaign to earn more funds. Its goal is to raise $12,500 by Monday, Dec. 3 at 11:59 p.m. The team will only receive the money if it reaches that amount by the deadline.

There are many rewards for pledging, including a fleece blanket, t-shirts and free bras.

“Once the Kickstarter ends, we will focus on getting our orders ready for delivery, and then transitioning to online sales through our own website,” Chief Executive Officer Emily Austin said.

The online sales will begin on their website after the goal has been hit and the other orders have been fulfilled.

Elemental competed in Central Michigan University’s NewVenture Competition in 2017 and 2018, winning $250 the first year, and $30,000 the next.

The team currently consists of Austin as CEO and Haley Rusicka as the director of marketing, both CMU alumni, and Susan Wroblewski, coordinator for the Center for Merchandising Design Technology Research Lab at CMU, as the Chief Operations Officer.

The idea for the thermal bra originally came to Austin while working on a group project.

“The idea stemmed from a woman named Jodie Faber, who we were introduced to through a class project,” Austin said. “Jodie told us all about her struggles being cold and hopes for a solution.”

Austin said she and her group began researching and creating prototypes for the thermal bra right after its conversation with Faber.

As the group project came to an end, Austin continued to work with Wroblewski and soon after, Rusicka joined the team. 

The thermal bra helps retain body heat without having to use bulky and electrically wired medical devices.

Rusicka said the company’s thermal bra is 33 percent warmer than a comparative retail bra, and is underwire free.

“We’ve taken into account these women’s breast shapes because they are not exactly perfect shapes when you have reconstruction,” Rusicka said. 

The company created the bras with the comfort of the survivors as the main goal. The bra is made with a wicking material for cold sweats some women have.

“The bra band is made of a luxurious polyester and spandex fabric that feels great on your skin,” Wroblewski said. “The (innermost) layer of the bra cup is 100 percent cotton with a wicking treatment so that it will feel great, while moving moisture away from your skin if you perspire.”

Rusicka said the company plans to continue creating different thermal bras, including a thermal sports bra.

“We are hoping that we are the brand of thermal bras that not only strong women who have survived breast cancer can benefit from, but eventually a company that benefits women who like to watch and participate in sports outside,” Rusicka said.