Larry Austin earns Junkanoo Jam Most Valuable Player honor

0f4a0469
Senior guard Larry Austin Jr. claps after widening their lead over Chicago State on Nov. 9 at McGuirk Arena.

After scoring in double figures in all three games of the Junkanoo Jam, Larry Austin Jr. is being recognized as the Junkanoo Jam's Most Valuable Player. 

In the Chippewas (4-1) 2-1 run for the championship of the inaugural Junkanoo Jam, the senior transfer guard scored 14 points against CSU Bakersfield, a career-high 30 points against Weber State and 15 points in the final game against San Jose State.

Austin is leading the team at 18.7 points four assists per game while adding 4.2 rebounds per contest. In the tournament alone, Austin averaged 19.7 points and 5.3 boards per game.

Junior guard Kevin McKay was named to the All-Tournament Team. He averaged 16.3 points per game including a game-high 24 points against SJSU in the Chippewas 76-74 victory. McKay and Austin were joined by WSU's Jerrick Harding, CSUB's Damiyne Durham and SJSU's Michael Steadman on the unit.

WSU, CSUB and CMU all finished 2-1 in the tournament but the Chippewas 12-point victory over the Roadrunners was the difference for naming them the champion. CMU's only loss in the tournament was a 78-76 final against WSU on a buzzer beater from 3-point distance by freshman guard Israel Barnes.

Austin also won his first-ever Mid-American Conference West Division Player of the Week honors. Bowling Green's Demajeo Wiggins earned the honors as well for the MAC East Division.

The Chippewas resume action after six days off against Siena Heights (3-4) at 1 p.m. on Nov. 25 in McGurik Arena. Last season, CMU defeated the Saints 108-48 at home.