Seventh annual Dance United raises more than $30,000

dance-united-group-photo

Performers and administrators pose for a picture with a check made out to United Way for $30,015.06 at the 7th annual Dance United event on Nov. 15.

For the seventh year in a row United Way partnered with Central Michigan University to produce the Dance United fundraising competition, raising more than $30,000. 

The showcase was held on CMU's campus in McGuirk Arena, which was transformed into a contemporary dance stage for one evening of community service, friendly fundraising and entertaining dance displays. 

United Way is a fundraising agency that directs profits toward programs that serve the community. Recently, United Way has shifted its focus towards eliminating generational poverty, adopting the slogan, “break the cycle,” directed at families who have lived below the poverty line for multiple generations. 

The annual Dance United event differs from other contests because it focuses on fundraising rather than the dancing itself. Couples who participate are assigned the goal of raising $500 or more for United Way, then they work with a dance coach to choreograph a routine for the night of the showcase.

The team that raises the most money is awarded a trophy following the performances. The competition was open to all ages and welcomed various forms of dance. 

The showcase opened with performances from local dance academies, followed by a welcoming speech from the new president of United Way, Annie Sanders. 

“It is a dance showcase, but at the end of the day the most important part is the money raised,” Sanders said, addressing the crowd of family, friends, CMU administrators and United Way board members. 

The competition featured routines from 12 dancing pairs and colorful commentary from Bobby St. Charles, who commentates during Chippewa football and basketball games, and Angie Evans, radio personality from 95.3 CFX. 

Awards were given to both the top CMU student team and community member team. This year’s winning student team was Katie Nue, CMU graduate student and the new assistant director of alumni engagement in Alumni Relations, and her partner Muskegon graduate student Travell Oakes. 

The community winners were Sally Grahm, 13, and Eli Schlicht, 12. Grahm said they owe their outstanding fundraising efforts to their parents who have had a strong presence in the community. 

“(Dancing preparation) took a lot of effort but we’ve known each other for such a long time that it was super easy working together," Schlicht said. 

For some participants, the dance event has become tradition to attend and donate to. 

Killian Richensen and Sammie Paine, both CMU graduate students and Mount Pleasant residents, danced in the first showcase, seven years ago. Paine said they still actively volunteer at United Way as an opportunity to meet more people and get involved in community activities. 

“It’s really cool to see how Dance United has grown and developed through the community since the year we participated,” Richensen said. 

Collectively, Dance United has raised more than $200,000 since its inception, all of which finds its way back to the Isabella and Gratoit county communities by financially supporting charities and programs that assist poverty stricken families.

“This year’s mantra is ‘campus united, community united, dance united,’” said Stan Shingles, assistant vice president of University Recreation as well as co-chair and founder of Dance United. “If we don’t invest in our community, who will?” 

To learn more about United Way’s mission and to submit donations, visit their website or Facebook page @GratiotIsabellaUnited.