Women's empowerment expo to teach self-defense

img_1129_1539648522

The "empowHERment" logo. 

Learn self-defense strategies and listen to empowering motivational speakers during the women’s "empowHERment" expo on Monday, Nov. 19. 

Hosted by the Central Michigan University Department of Recreation, parks and leisure services, the event will offer self-defense classes so attendees can learn how to best protect themselves in dangerous situations. 

"While we believe that women should not have to use violence to feel safe; we want to provide the means to empower women to be able to defend themselves against the high statistics of sexual aggression in our country," the event's Facebook page states. 

According to the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN), people aged 18 to 34 are at the highest risk of being a victim of sexual violence. The majority of CMU students are within that age range, typically 18 to 29. 

The National Sexual Assualt Resource Center states that 20 to 25 percent of college women, and 15 percent of men are victims of forced sex while in college.

For those not able to attend the expo, the RAINN website offers various ways to prevent sexual violence. Some examples include never walking alone, protecting your drink at the bar and staying alert while walking alone by not using mobile devices or headphones.

Along with the defense classes, participants can listen to multiple motivational speakers and participate in various motivational crafts sessions. 

The expo will be held from 7-8:30 p.m. in Finch Fieldhouse, room 113. 

For those interested in attending, tickets are $5 and can be bought at the room entrance. All proceeds will be donated to the Isabella County Women’s Aid shelter.