Basketball blown out at TCU

rusco_bball-1

Central Michigan head coach Keno Davis yells during the basketball game against University of Buffalo on March 8 at Quicken Loans Arena. 

TCU scored the first points of the game and wouldn’t relinquish the lead for the rest of night.  

The Horned Frogs (5-1) shots were falling and their defense stifled CMU (6-2) during an 89-62 rout over the Chippewas on Friday at Schollmaier Stadium.   

CMU fell behind their Big 12 opponent 9-22 early in the first half, but after an 8-2 run they were only down by 7. TCU answered the challenge by outscoring CMU 15-2 over the next 3:30. 

TCU’s lead was 20 points by halftime thanks in part to an impressive performance from  Desmond Bane who recorded 18 points, seven rebounds, and three blocks.  The Horned Frogs continued their relentless attack and the deficit would swell to 30 points with 39 seconds remaining.  

The Stats 

The Chippewas shot an abysmal 32.8 percent from the field and 17.4 percent from beyond the three point line.  They were out-rebounded 48 to 31 and surrendered 20 fastbreak points.  

Larry Austin was the lone bright spot for the Chippewas, leading the team with 19 points and 5 assists.  David DiLeo struggled to find his shot all night and finished with five points on 2-11 shooting.  

After Bane’s hot start the Horned Frogs offense became more balanced in the second half, with four players scoring in double digits.  Alex Robinson recorded a double-double with 11 points and 12 assists while also contributing on the defensive end with 2 steals.  

“It was a variety of guys scoring inside and that’s what we wanted to see,” TCU coach Jamie Dixon said.  

What’s Next 

CMU will look to bounce back on the road against the Youngstown State Penguins (3-5) on Dec. 4.